Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
downeastwaves

Maine Black Bear

downeastwaves
15 years ago

Hi,

Just thought I'd share this little video I shot of a Maine Black Bear.

Not exactly garden related, but maybe you have a story to share about a bear in YOUR garden.

There are a few other videos listed at the top if you are interested, just click on the name at the top of the page.

Leasa

Eastport

Here is a link that might be useful: Maine Black Bear

Comments (7)

• sherryinmaine
    15 years ago

hi Leasa,
    I enjoyed that, thanks.
    Havent seen any bears in my part of Hancock co., but couple years ago, saw bear tracks leading in and out of a slash pile (that I'd often walked by and wondered if that opening in it was a door to a bear den!) it was during that wierd winter where everythng was extremely warm. That day had snowed one or two inches, and I guess the warm weather had confused the bear, he'd come out, made a half circle, then went back in.
    Day or two ago, a fox (I think) took one of my chickens. It dug a hole in the crusty snow, watched for the right time, and grabbed one, not even two feet from the hen house. Couple days later, I was walking in woods and came upon a pile of chicken feathers.

The same day bird was taken, pretty sure I saw a fisher climb a tree in my back yard. (I saw one last year at this time too, tho I'm told they dont live here)
    Hope this is ok to post here, no gardening talk, except mine is under some frozen white stuff!
    Liked the video!
    Sherry

• drumaps
    15 years ago

who told ya fisher don't live in your parts.

• sherryinmaine
    15 years ago

hi drumaps, the trapper who came down and looked around. Dont know what he was looking for-- this Feb and last Feb the snow was hard and crusty. He said I'd probably mistook it for a skunk (I know what skunks look like). Haven't seen him or her since, just like last year. Made an appearance in mid Feb, and haven't seen since.

Oh, well, nothing since. Kept my eyes open; soon enough everything will be visiting, hawks, foxes, wweasels, etc. Hawks are the biggest worry; last year I and my kids chased off quite a few-- they are bold when hungry, I guess & they thought it was their own personal fast food.

Sherry

• drumaps
    15 years ago

keep your eyes open, I know trappers all over the state who regularly catch fisher (during the season). I am an ADC trapper down in southern Maine and we have quite a few lately. They are very seclusive animals, and usually do not stay in one place very long. they make a loop around their territory, we found they come thru about every two weeks or so (dependant on environment, food, etc.). very neat animals

• sherryinmaine
    15 years ago

thanks Drumaps, I figured they must travell around, since I so rarely see them.
    The coyotes seem to be the same way. Sometimes they're near here,(hanging around where the rabbits and chickens live) and other times I can hear them far away. I think they make circuits too.
    Sherry

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Havent seen any bears in my part of Hancock co.,

I used to live out on Flye Point in Brooklin (just outside Blue Hill) and we saw bear all the time. There was one, about 5-600 pounds who used to come in and attempt to raid our garbage on a regular basis. Now that I'm down in Bridgton (over toward Fryeburg) I still see bears, but not as often.

• sherryinmaine
    15 years ago

Hey Bill, that must have been really neat/scary/annoying!
    I meant specifically, the area that I live on & around.
    The tracks that I saw were 3 or so miles from my house behind the school area, where there are walking trails.
    I love seeing their tracks, but dont want to encounter one, especially while I'm walking.
    Sherry

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County