Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garden 2012

Posted by normathenewbie (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 10:41

Okay, I am back after a not so fruitful first try back in 2008/2009. We have moved but still in the same zone. Which I think is 5? (Phippsburg) I am so excited to get started this year. I am thinking we will be doing raised beds and a lot of container gardening.

When should we start our seedlings indoors? And what should we be starting first?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garden 2012

A friend told me about lasagna gardening which I think might work our great. But not sure if you can start them in the spring and plant in them or if you have to start them in the fall so they have time to cook over the winter. anyone have success in our area? Would love to know how it worked out. also posted on facebook to my locals in hopes that I can find some leads on some manure and old hay.

o

I'm more of a fan of growing in tilled ground but raising the beds. I highly recommend all three of eliot colemans books. You can get them at the library. If they don't have them they can get them through interlibrary loan.

o

I Live in woolwich. I have raised beds that do really well. I have a Potager. I plant all my seeds in early may. My beds because they are raised are warmer earlier and stay warmer longer.I would enjoy talking with other maine gardeners if you have time. Jenny

o

Jon_dear, thank you for the tips and I will look for those books at my library.

Jennybog, I lived in Woolwich for 5 years. Just built here in Phippsburg last year. Who knows, we may know each other.

o

normathenewbie,
I have lived in woolwich for 8 years. I have a small hobby farm. I just Love living here. I have many friends in Phippsburg. It is a small world

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here