Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dollmaker

Don't read this if you're sick of winter

The_Dollmaker
19 years ago

I think I might be the only one in this forum who likes snow!

I used a stepladder to put Christmas lights up on my lilac tree, but I hate ladders so I waited to take the lights down, hoping the snow would get high enough so I could just walk around it on snowshoes, and yesterday I was finally able to. Also for the past few years I have been putting geegaws up on the side of one shed that's in a kind of private garden that only I can see. I can't put a ladder there because the banking is steep and a little mushy, plus I have daylilies there. So yesterday I was able to snowshoe in and put up a few things I had been saving for high spots. I'm 4'-11", so it's fun to be able to reach stuff!

Comments (8)

• lilyroseviolet
    19 years ago

hey Doll,I moved to Maine because I love snow. I love painting it, walkiing in it, driving in it, I love snow!

I like 4 full seasons mostly.

• Cindy_T
    19 years ago

I've been enjoying the snowshoeing, too. First time in a couple of years there's been enough snow to dig the shoes out!

Doll, I don't like ladders either!

• veilchen
    19 years ago

I'm sick of it and am ready for my greenhouse to start warming up so I can start some seeds out there. I know it will be a long time before I can even think about tomatoes, etc., but I want to try some cool-season annuals and perennials such as poppies and delphiniums.

I just got back from 6 days in Fla. and it wasn't enough. I was fortunate to be there while the last storm was happening here. Not fun to come home to 2' of snow when it had mostly melted before I had left.

• lilyroseviolet
    19 years ago

veilchen, I am leaving for Arizonia on Thurday for 3 weeks...I would rather stay here in Maine, mostly the fear of flying, but it should be good to go.

I hear your attitude, though. :)

Can you attach a green house to some sunny windows and open them up? Just a thought, never did it before but desparate measures cause for desparate thinking when it comes to getting happy and sowing.

Send me your address and I'll send you a post card after I soak it in the sun all day.

Cheers- Sue

• The_Dollmaker
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have officially had ENOUGH of winter!!!

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

Me too. I love winter but I've had enough snowmobiling, ice fishing and sliding. I want to work in the soil and get a tan and complain about how hot it is. I'd even welcome a blackfly (just one!) today. It's 21°, the wind is howling and it's snowing again. No school today.

• mainesfwriter
    19 years ago

All I can see of my mailbox is the top of its post, when I look out my study window. I had to dig and dig to get it visible from up and down the road, so it won't (I hope) get hit, when the town plow came along after the guy I hire had come and gone. Had to force my way through a drift to get out of the house this morning, and then dried my socks on the office radiator (no one else was in to speak of - bare feet in shoes didn't matter). Shoveled for an hour after work tonight, just doing the "cleanup" of what the plow guy can't get at. Am I ready for spring? You bet I am! UNCLE! UNCLE!

My petunias are coming up in their flat. Thank goodness.

• lilyroseviolet
    19 years ago

Iam back from Arizona! Last night we flew in after spending 3 weeks in southern Arizona. The temps were in the 80's when we left and clear skies.

Believe it or not, it was good to be home and I actually enjoyed seeing the snow and am glad that my gardens are still dormant. Now I am able to finally start some sowings!

The seeds are flying at my house!

PS

I did think about you all though :)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz