Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for site for plant/seed sources

Posted by marthacr z5 Me (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 06 at 13:48

Does anyone have info on a site where you can enter a name of a plant/seed and find the companies that carry it for retail sale?
I know you can google the plant name, but then you have to weed out what are not retail sources. I could use this often. Today I am looking for two things- dianthus Beatrix and Salvia microphylla Hot Lips.

TIA
Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for site for plant/seed sources

Martha,

Dianthus Beatrix is this Clove Pink.

This is one source of several for Salvia microphylla Hot Lips. Scroll down the page to find Hot Lips.

MM

o

Thanks, MM.

Select seeds was actually the place where I first saw the Beatrix. I am hoping to find a source for seeds. If not, I'll have to get the plants and create my own seed source.
I am hoping, though, to find a site that is similar to a book that I have seen in recent years. It is a type of source book for locating plants. There's a list of nurseries as the base, then a list of plants/seeds and notated after each variety which companies carry that plant/seed.
Obviously it is something that must get updated almost yearly. It seems like a web source would be a better way to do it than a new book every year or so. And to have just Maine nurseries would be a bonus for us!

Martha

o

Martha,

"Obviously it is something that must get updated almost yearly. It seems like a web source would be a better way to do it than a new book every year or so. And to have just Maine nurseries would be a bonus for us! "

I agree, such a website would be very useful. Unfortunately, I don't know of such a site either. So I just search for such information the old-fashioned way. I google for it. (grin)

MM

o

The publication I work for is working on it but it won't be done in time for this year's seed ordering.

o

Try Jellito.

o
wrong spelling

Oops, I spelled it wrong. It's Jelitto.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here