Spring is just around the corner

josie_2
18 years ago

I have ordered 2 clematis,6 roses so far.What have you ordered? Josie_2

Comments (6)

• maineman
    18 years ago

Josie,

So far just some annual flower seeds from ValueSeeds.com. I am looking for that seed order to arrive any day now.

I will be sending an order to Parks, Stokes, and Burpee's real soon now. I probably will just take a one-hour trip up to Johnny's to get my stuff directly from them. I enjoy browsing in their catalog store.

That "spring around the corner" thing may be a bit premature. (grin) The forecasters call for some single-digit weather this weekend.

MM

• josie_2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello MM,thank you for the link.I have spent ages looking through it.I'm not too lucky with seeds.I get them started,they produce four little leaves and then expire on me.Still I can try again whilst I await spring.Josie_2

• veilchen
    18 years ago

I have ordered 6 David Austin Roses. Or was it 7? Will not have time for many vegetables this year, going to be doing a lot of digging, redesigning the whole garden plus landscape. And I swear I will not order any daylilies this year! I really mean that!

• josie_2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Veilchen,Austin roses are so beautiful,I wanted to try them but was not sure if they would die on me.I live in Boothbay on a point surrounded by water with not much for protection from cold winds etc.Are you in a warmer zone than me?.I planted about 24 everblooming daylillies last fall,so I have them to look forward to.Last night the coyotes were out howling it sounded like there were 50 of them-frightening-If it wasn't for my wee gardens I'd be home to Ireland.Regards Josie

• veilchen
    18 years ago

Technically I'm in zone 5b, I'm sure in Boothbay you're the same. Bury the bud union deep, throw some pine needles or mulch on them in Dec. for winter protection, and I'm sure they'd do fine.

• maineman
    18 years ago

Josie,

There have been coyotes at a lot of places we have lived before, including, oddly enough, on the outskirts of St. Louis, where it wouldn't be unusual at night to hear a pack of coyotes attacking and killing something. Sounds carry very well in the cool night air.

We don't seem to have coyotes here, at least none that I have seen or heard, although we are sort of "out in the country" and have a lot of wildlife in the surrounding woods. Squirrels are a big problem here. Coyotes are predators, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. They might eat squirrels. Do you happen to have a lot of squirrels around where you live? If not, that might be a benefit from the coyotes.

I'm sorry to hear you haven't had good luck growing from seeds. Almost everything I grow is from seeds, both vegetables and flowers. My luck with seeds has improved a lot since I made a plant stand with fluorescent lights to start them early inside. There's actually a lot to growing seedlings indoors, but I enjoy that phase of gardening as a hobby into itself. With our short growing season here in Maine, the indoor phase extends the season and the bright lights are said to be a treatment for "SAD" (Seasonal Affective Disorder, fancy words for winter depression). I do like to watch the seedlings develop and, while I am doing that, I guess I am getting a dose of bright light for whatever psychological benefits might ensue.

If you are interested in growing from seeds, there should be enough advice and information available here in the GardenWeb forums to make growing from seeds more rewarding for you.

MM

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm