Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwl_me

What cucumbers grow well for you?

nwl_me
17 years ago

I'm thinking about what varieties of cucumbers to grow this year, and was wondering what varieties, if any, that grow well for other Mainers. I'm in northern Oxford County, btw, with plenty of water, heat, and bugs. Water, heat, and bugs: I think that pretty well describes Maine in the summer.

Anyway, two somewhat dependable varieties that grow well for me are Lemon and Miss Pickler, both of which grow fairly strong healthy vines, but neither start producing for me until about a month before frost, when the days are getting noticeably shorter.

In past years, I've tried many varieties that catalogs said were for northern climates, but I haven't had much luck. I don't think that many seed companies test cucumbers here in Maine, except Pinetree Seeds and possibly Fedco. Haven't had much luck with Fedco in the past, though. This year, I was thinking about trying West Indian Gherkin, Mexican Sour Gherkin, and the parthenocarpic varieties Sweet Success, Diva, Sweet Slice, & Vertina. The parthenocarpic varieties produce fruit even when not pollinated. Though that only works if the plants survive and bloom in a timely manner. Also, maybe an Asian one. Haven't had any luck with them in the past, but who knows?

So, what cucumbers grow well for you?

-NWL

Comments (3)

• robin_maine
    17 years ago

I usually grow National or Cross Country for pickling. My slicers are Marketmore 76 or Marketmore 86 and Telegraph Improved European (in one of the greenhouses).

• maineman
    17 years ago

NWL,

Johnny's Selected Seeds is a Maine seed company, and they definitely test seeds here in Maine. They even breed them here in Maine, and win awards with the varieties that they breed.

I prefer their Diva cucumber, because it has a mild taste and, if it isn't pollinated by any other cucumbers, it will be seedless.

It's the only cucumber I grow, but occasionally a bee will cross pollinate it with one of our neighbor's cucumbers. But even with seeds, I still like their taste. Diva is too mild for some people's taste, and it's not a pickling cucumber. I will pick one, wash it under the faucet, slice it on a plate, pour on some Ranch Dressing, and I have an afternoon snack. You don't need to peel the slices, because the skin itself is very mild and smooth.

MM

• nwl_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you both for the replies.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus