Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veilchen_gw

so how much snow do you have?

veilchen
19 years ago

Well. Yesterday I was determined to shovel off parts of my vegetable garden (raised beds) so the soil will dry out faster. At this point in time, the insulating effects of snow are not needed as much, and with the air temp rising (a little), I figured the sooner I could get the snow off the beds, the sooner I can plant peas.

Trodded out there in the remnants of a snowblower path from about 3 storms ago. Had to be careful because my feet kept sinking. Reached what appeared was the edge of my vegetable garden (I could tell because the tips of my rose bushes were sticking out of the snow). Started to shovel down. Shoveled down quite deep, up to my hip, and still did not reach the ground. Finally came across the PVC pipe we have stuck in the ground that we use as a hose guide. That pipe is about 18" high, and I was standing on top of it, in snow that was about 3' deep. So that makes 4' +!

I am in awe. I don't think I've ever stood in snow so deep. I kept shoveling a path (having to chip through the layer of ice about 12" down). Was hard to keep on track, on the path, when I can't see the outline of my raised beds. Did not find a bed yet, shoveling blindly. Maybe I need to go deeper. Beds are 12" high.

This is crazy. I got tired and decided to give it up until the next day. Will shovel a little more til I find a bed. Not everywhere in my yard is the snow as deep, but the garden area is pretty open and the snow seems to have drifted that way. Under trees and stuff the snow is not nearly as deep. But still. I think if I do find a raised bed and manage to dig off the snow, it won't matter much, because the raised bed will be in kind of a snow hole, and not much sun will reach it.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area