Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Most Fragrant Sweet Peas?

Posted by mainerose 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 08 at 13:48

My sweet peas bloomed well last year but the fragrance was not very strong. Have you grown varieties that were especially fragrant? If so, where did you get them? I'll be ordering seeds soon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Most Fragrant Sweet Peas?

One commonly available is 'Old Spice'. I have been growing these for several years and save seeds from them each year. They smell yummy. I may have some extra seeds from last year, email me if you can't find 'Old Spice'; I think I originally purchased them from Pinetree Seeds. They are a mix of different colors.

Last year I ordered a couple new varieties from Thompson & Morgan seed catalog. They are a British company, and have loads of varieties of sweet peas as the English grow a lot of them. Just make sure you order those marked "very fragrant".

o

Thanks. I will look for them locally. If not, I know that Johnny's has them. I have ordered from Thompson & Morgan in the past, but not sweet peas. I'll check their catalog to see what they are offering this year. I know they have lots of varieties that are hard to find elsewhere.

o

Well, my sweet peas are blooming! I followed your advice and purchased some seeds from Johnny's as well as a couple of packages from Longfellows---one called Moroccan Mixture. I am now sitting at work inhaling the most delicious fragrance from a bouquet I picked this morning. If I can't be home working in my garden, this is the next best thing! Thanks for the advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here