Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sailfish_gw

Blue Hubbard Just for Fun

sailfish
15 years ago

The Mrs. and I built a camp in Southern Piscatiquis County. Zone 4B I believe. I planted some Butternut squash last year and the deer ate it as it came out of the ground. This year we're putting up a fence around a 100'x100' plot and planting Blue Hubbard squash. I'd like to start the seeds indoors so I have a better chance at seeing 100 days of growth and ripening. My guess is to introduce the transplants to the ground about the last week of May. Anybody have any experience starting their squash indoors? How long before I transplant them should they be started? I have a southern exposed wall with a lot of glass but there's no heat. Is this even too early to start them indoors? TIA

Comments (7)

• adirondackgardener
    15 years ago

I started my Hubbards last year about 6 weeks before setting them out here in Oxford County. They grew healthy plants in the seed trays and I didn't repot them though they were on the verge of becoming root bound. Set them out about the last week of May as you are planning and they did well with a few enormous fruits and a lot of good mediums.

Though you might grow them for fun, they can produce a whole lot of useful food.

Wayne

• lotsa_rocks
    15 years ago

Interesting, I have never tried starting the Hubbard inside. I always assumed that squash don't transplant well as the seed packets usually say to start outside. I might try starting some indoors this year. How big were they at 6 weeks? I need to budget my indoor growing space carefully.

• sailfish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I actually found a greenhouse in the area that is willing to start the 400 jiffy pots for me. They said they needed six weeks before planting and they'll harden them up for me. I'm sure I'll enjoy all the squash I can eat. I'll be baking them in a wood fired oven this fall. Can't wait to make some maple squash pies. Food pantries in the area will take the squash I hope. I think there is a plant a row for the hungry program in Maine. I wonder if they have a truck? I think planting one species and keeping up with the pests will be some good experience. I have a MOFGA book that outlines pest control. I'll see If I can't post some pics as the project moves along. Should be fun.

• annpat
    14 years ago

Thanks for the the reminder, andirondack. I'll plant mine tonight---a little late for here, I bet.

• sailfish
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lots of Roks wrote: "Interesting, I have never tried starting the Hubbard inside. I always assumed that squash don't transplant well as the seed packets usually say to start outside"
    I too was warned that transplanting squash was risky at best. I noticed the plants seem to wilt right down as I introduced then to the soil. I guessed this was a soil temp thing because I was so carefull not to disturb the plant as I covered the pots. They popped back up in a few days. If the deer havn't eaten them yet I would guess they are weeks ahead of ground started plants due to the gloomy start we had. I think this worked for me. Should I be lucky enough to see a crop of squash, Most of is destined to a local food cupboard.

• lotsa_rocks
    14 years ago

Wow sailfish, that's really cool that you're giving the squash to the food cupboard. Good for you! Make sure to save a couple for yourself. I just planted some Blue Hubbard seed on Saturday so we'll see how it goes. I really wish I had tried some inside this year, it has been so wet and chilly. We need some sun.

• BreaHouston
    9 years ago

If you plant your Blue Hubbard Squash seeds into biodegradable containers such as peat pots or those new fangled cow-manure pots.(really, anything that easily decomposes will work), then you don't have to disturb the roots at all. Just plant the plant with it's pot. The roots grow quickly so choose containers quite a bit larger than you think you will need. All squash hate for their roots to get "squashed".....sorry, couldn't help myself. :-)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County