Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adlumia_gw

Best plants, gardens, parks, garden centers in Me.

adlumia
19 years ago

Hi - I am relocating back to Maine in the near to medium future after being in the Midatlantic for a long time. What are your favorite flowers for Maine? What are people's favorite public gardens and g. centers? I love to garden - particularly perennials. My favorite Rose is Schneekoppe - has anyone tried it up there. I'm going to miss some of the tender plants that can survive down here - I don't think I'm going to miss the heat and humidity though. I just went to the Philly flower show yesterday - walked my feet off - but it definitely got my spring fever going.

bye

agmss

Comments (4)

• veilchen
    19 years ago

I guess my favorite would be the delphiniums because they grow in a pretty narrow range and are so pretty. Daylilies are fantastic here, but they grow in a lot of other climates easily.

I haven't grown Schneekoppe, but I have been trying a lot of David Austin roses, which grow well for me here.

Where in ME will you be moving to? Hopefully you won't be arriving too soon, because in some places we have 3' of snow on the ground and more on the way tonight.

• lilyroseviolet
    19 years ago

I am a sucker for most all annuals, I love most all flowers for what they are and the beauty each has to offer so making a favorite is pretty difficult.

But heck, yes delphiniums are gorgeous here, I love snap dragons, and I dont mind dead heading at all so petunias are great, pansies are up there as one of my happy thoughts, I can never get enough of poppies and lavateras, argyranthemums can be pleasant but I seem to be getting a bit burnt out on them as they are everywhere and over used in my opinon ( be gentle on me with come backs on that one please hee-hee) I love to see masses of the same flowers in huge plantings as well as the like of a cottage style.

my top favorites to use each year are:
    echium
    pansies
    marigolds
    tall ageratums ( blue horizon)
    english daisy (argyranthemum)
    fried eggs
    dianthus ( tall melody series)
    lavetera ( pinks and silver)
    malvas ( zebrina )
    snap dragons ( doubles are great as well as Jamacian Mist)
    petunias ( any healthy petunia works for me)
    alyssums all sorts and colors
    (I even like dark coral salmon geraniums "zonals" - which seems to not be much of a favorite for most it seems)
    I love four O'clocks, too.
    salvia farincaeas types
    I love paludosums
    Tea roses are grown like annuals around here and they seem to be a must in the garden
    sweet peas all kinds
    morning glories
    convolvulas the dark tri color blue
    I also love to plant climbing vegetables and fruits in my gardens and trelis them like sqaush and watermelons
    I adorn tulips and dafs and very tall flowering onions or alliums
    astilbes- all colors
    liatris- purple
    aruncus tall and short
    leucanthemums
    I adore echinacea all colors and heights
    rudbeckias most all types
    sunflowers tall to short all colors especially velvet queen
    irises, german and japaneese types
    lilies - casa blanca is great and the infamous stargazer
    day lilies because I eat them as fast as they come on
    rosa rugosas common beach rose because I use them in wreath making
    hydrangeas - wreath making fav
    I like them all and I am sure Iam missing many others that I am forgetting about.

pink lady slippers grow in my woods that are such a treat!

• adlumia
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi - I am originally from and moving back to central Maine - Skowhegan area. Yes - since it is lovely sunny if cool and the first blooms are blooming down here in NJ/Pa -I sometimes think it's abit nuts to head north to garden.

Schneekoppe is a rugosa with white/lavender blooms - like a white flower in a shadow - lovely - also called snow pavement.

I love perennials - many kinds. I love natives - and I photographed alot in my dad's woods last spring - and donated lots of food to the local mosquitos. I've also really been enjoying the tender perennials for the last few years - plants that are perennial and need to be grown for a longer period - and are of course more expensive. I often use them in the jungles I call containers. Some I've grown from seed - lots are available at nurseries (which is often where I work). Here's a list of some of my favorites plants - heavily influenced by the flower show I went to this week - my lists change daily:

Peonies - I love peonies - It's the only thing I've planted in Maine so far - bought some pale singles at the CG fair last year. I will miss tree peonies!

Phormium - great spikey foliage - good colors

Melianthus - also great foliage - lovely serrated edges - stinky though.

Coleus - I didn't like these for many years - but now I love them. Unfortunately I didn't keep my favorites over the winter this year.

Clivia - I know it's not a garden plant but my orange ones are in bloom right now. I took a photo of an absolutely magnificient yellow one at the flower show to inspire my tiny little hopefully yellow one.

Poppies and Irises - Almost any kind.

Brunnnera, mysotis, pulmonaria - all these blue for-get-me-not relatives are lovely. I like the pink ones too.

Helleborus, Hepatica, Columbines, Thalictrum, Aconitum - hmmm the whole ranunculus clan including of course Delphiniums. The blues are wonderful - and they don't love NJ at all - so I'm looking forward to having happy Delphiniums again.

All right that's enough for today. What kind of gardens do you have - what colors do you like? I'm having lots of fantasies - and I have a small field and a large pile of manure - but I have to keep myself in check until I get practical things like walls and floors in my house.

bye now
    agmss

• veilchen
    19 years ago

You might be able to grow tree peonies here. They do fine in zone 5, maybe zone 4 too?