Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Romaine Lettuce

Posted by mainerose 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 22, 11 at 15:26

I'm planning to try some new veggies this year and would like to plant some Romaine. (Just plain tired of the leaf kinds). Has anyone had success with this in Zone 4? Any particular variety? What about any of the head lettuces (crisphead, buttercrunch)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Romaine Lettuce

I am trying buttercrunch this year & will let you know how it goes. I have only ever done spinach, mixed greens, kale and Fedco's Summer Lettuce Mix and Winter Lettuce mix before this.

o

Dear GardenWeb--PLEASE sort posts by date of replies rather than date of orginial post. I love these forums BUT--- my post about romaine lettuce is buried under those from many previous years----hard for poeople to reply when they have to scroll and scroll forever.

o

So I didn't do Romaine Lettuce, but (as I mentioned in my reply) I did Bibb Buttercrunch lettuce and it is MARVELOUS. Highly recommended.

o

I grew Swiss Chard, Red Merlot Romaine, and Buttercrunch this year and had great success with all three. The swiss chard and Buttercrunch I did from seed and the Red Merlot was a seedling transplant from a local gardener in my area. I put them all outside in ground in mid May and didn't do a lot so I just harvested my last romaine head at the beginning of this week.

o

My romaine did pretty well---not as large as the store-bought, but then I didn't expect it to be. The buttercrunch sounds great--definitely on my list for next year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here