Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fivemeows

Maine gardening show anyone going?

fivemeows
18 years ago

I have my tickets and I can't wait it starts next Thursday. Anyone else going?It was wonderful last year and they say its even going to better this year.

Comments (8)

• veilchen
    18 years ago

I think I'll be going on Thurs.

• paulaj
    18 years ago

Hi,

Do you mean the Portland Flower Show? Here is a link to info

http://portlandme.about.com/od/entertainment/a/FlowerShow.htm

• robin_maine
    18 years ago

I wish I were. It's a four hour drive though. Will someone report back about it?

• fivemeows
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes I do mean the flower show in Portland.

• veilchen
    18 years ago

Went to the flower show yesterday. First impression upon coming up to the company complex was how dilapidated that building was.

Inside, I was surprised how dark it was. Most of the displays were underlit. Some appeared downright in the dark and you could barely see the display. It was also difficult to discern who did what, as in what landscape or hardscape co. built the display.

I suppose it was worth the cost of a ticket for a couple hours (that's how long it took to see everything at least once) respite from the winter, but I'm not sure I'll bother to go next year.

• paulaj
    18 years ago

I went Friday. I was surprised, as Veilchen was, at how poorly lit the displays were and how run-down the buildings were. Dark, dank, even smelly! I spent 2 hours, took some notes. Bring your camera if you go. There were some lovely ideas for landscaping with stone and water. People worked very hard, lugging huge rocks and forcing plants and trees into bloom. But I wouldn't have paid $12 to see all the craft vendors, as good as they are. Seems the non-profit area could have been better-populated by garden societies. And the vendors-sunrooms, but no greenhouses-unless I didn't see them. Too many lotion vendors. Just not enough vendors who were actually about gardening. I didn't attend any lectures-folks seemed pleased by the ones they'd heard.
    Next time for flower gardening I'll try Boston Flower Show. That would be a nice train trip, or bus. And for veggies, nothing can beat the Common Ground Fair.

• fivemeows
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was also very disappointed in this years show. Last year it was in the same buildings but the displays where well light and it didn' stink! This year it had a terrible oder! smelled like a manure smell. Very dim light and over crowded. To many vendors and not enough displays. What displays they had was the same flowers over and over again. pansys galore. Last year was great but thumbs down this year.

• marthacr
    18 years ago

I also thought this year it was poor. I am used to the building by now, but the displays were unimaginative. There was so much rock and water. The green and burgundy color scheme was good in one, and the circular maze, but other than that not much to look at. I was in line to get in before opening on Fri, went straight to the displays and was through in 30 minutes!! Just not much to linger on.

Martha

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living