Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainerose

Suggestions for Garden Mysteries

mainerose
19 years ago

I have gone through all my gardening and seed catalogs until they are limp and tattered and STILL have 6 foot snow banks and acres of mud at my house. I'm an avid reader of mystery stories. Can anyone suggest some mysteries with a gardening-related theme to keep me occupied until I can start gardening again (Or at least until my seeds sprout)? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• lilyroseviolet
    19 years ago

Let us start one here! A progressive mystery.

I recently saw a mystery progressive story in progress in the soil forum. It got pretty silly, but was always fun to read.

So...perhaps the story takes place in the far northern East parts of the country. It is the Spring Equinox time and the bunnies are proud of their egloo homes in the woods. In the homeof one little bunny there is a storage of seeds....many seeds gathered from a secret storage house tucked in the woods. What noone knew was that these seeds.......

( at this point someone else should take the story over or else start the story over with a better scenerio lol...)

• Cindy_T
    19 years ago

Susan Wittig Albert writes (sort of) garden related mysteries. One is called Thyme of Death. Its been a while since I read them, but if memory serves me right, the main character is an herbalist who runs a small shop in between solving mysteries.

Another good one is The Maine Mulch Murder by A.Carmen Clark. Again, not a lot of gardening stuff, but a pretty good mystery.

And one final suggestion: Sarah Graves writes a very good mystery series set in Eastport. The theme here is home repair, rather than gardening, but the books are really good.

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

I have read a few by Sarah Graves after visiting Eastport. Although there is some reference to gardens in all the ones I've read, there is one that does involve a garden club and some herb garden (some poisonous ones.. of course) .. I think it is Wreck the Halls.
    Happy reading,
    Anne-Marie

• mainerose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks---I had forgotten about Susan Albert. Read one of hers several years ago and am currently engrossed in another. I'll check out the other suggestions, too. If it keeps snowing, I may need a lot of reading to keep me occupied until Spring gets here :(

• Andrea M
    18 years ago

Hi, I was shopping on eBay and came across a mystery bookseller who has broken his books down by theme (pforpaperback). In the "gardening mysteries" section he had the following books listed:

Garden View by Mary Freeman (2002)
    A Bouquet of Thorns by John Sherwood (1991)
    Clear and Convincing Proof by Kate Wilhelm (2004)
    A Hoe Lot Of Trouble by Heather Webber (2004)
    The Hanging Garden by John Sherwood (1994)
    Garden View by Mary Freeman (2002)
    Harvest of Murder by Ann Ripley (2002)
    A Botanist at Bay by John Sherwood (1986)

I've never heard of any of them so can't make a recommendation, but maybe one will tickle your fancy.

• mainerose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks---I'm heading to EBay right now---this sounds exactly like what I am looking for!

• marthacr
    18 years ago

I just read Flowers for His Funeral which was pretty good. Author is Ann Granger.
    This is the first garden oriented mystery that I've read. Want to do a trade?

Martha

• joykel
    18 years ago

I realize this is really late, but it's late fall and the gardening has waned. Both John Sherwood and Mary Freeman have several other titles. Another funny mystery is Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener by M.C. Beaton. Agatha isn't much of a gardener, but she's always up to something.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists