Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2011 Garden Season

Posted by papermkr 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 26, 11 at 18:38

Well most of my flowers have poking it head out of the soil. 15 variety of tomatoes is in the soil and 7 more to go. Yes I have 21 variety of tomatoes and 6 of hot pepper. Time to get to work! What are you doing to get ready for 2011 garden season?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2011 Garden Season

I am waiting to feel some warmth! I spent some time in the garden when it was warmer last week, but now, brrr!

I have three types of tomatoes, artichokes, gerberas and scabiosas that are now too big for my light stand. I can't even get them into my greenhouse because the nights are still too cold. I'm so anxious after all the snow we had this year.

o

I bought a seed starter set with a heating mat this year...beats my DIY setup that I had before! 12 varieties of tomatoes and 6 of peppers (not a lot of space in Portland) and I've been mapping out my spring and mid-summer plantings. Seeds were ordered long ago & now it is just a matter of making it all work. I picked up some manure from a horse farm down the road & will be turning the pile diligently to make sure that it is composted before the June succession planting. And I'm already pulling weeds and quackgrass out of the perennial beds... I'm building 4 extra raised beds to grow flowers for my wedding this year, too! So exciting...

Cheers to a great 2011 season!

o

This is my first venture into gardening this season and I am very excited (and probably a bit clueless!). my husband just built me a cute little bed out front and my wonderful neighbor, who has a very green thumb, brought me over a bunch of things she dug from her own garden! How nice was that? So we have irises, day lilies, hosta, bleeding hearts...and a couple of other little things we picked up in bridgton...I can't remember the names! I am also super-excited to say that we planted 2 lilacs!!! Lilacs have always been my favorites and I have always wanted to grow my own, finally!
I am also trying my hand with a few veggies this year. I have a home daycare, and the kids and I have been learning about growing our own foods together. So far we only have green beans and tomatoes, but I am hoping to add some cukes, carrots, green peppers, peas, watermelon, and pumpkins...but to be honest I have no clue what I am doing with theveggies, so please feel free to offer any advice!
Anna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here