Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener_weedin

Roll call

gardener_weedin
19 years ago

Checking in from Kittery! Have to agree with others about the !@#$ tourists! I am originally from the Newfield/ Parsonsfield area...just a little slower pace there.

My 6 year old son asked what the difference between tourist season and deer season was, I told him we couldn't shoot the tourists! And I wouldn't dislike the deer so much if they would stay out of my gardens! Any way would love to hear from some locals looking for trades.

Comments (6)

• chelone
    19 years ago

Sodden Cape Neddick, here... but I'm lovin' the rain.

I don't mind tourists too much (and they ALL drive by our home, I think; we call it route 95A, ;) ). I let their sluggish driving pace provide a "tune up" for my attitude... I fall into line, and take the time to really look around and take in the natural beauty of the southern Maine seacoast area. I remind myself that maybe, JUST MAYBE, the people in the car in front of me have never seen the ocean before... . It's easier and better for my blood pressure to simply follow their lead and "smell the roses". But I've lived my life (so far!) in tourist towns.

We had some errant deer in our yard following the death of a vigorous dog. Once we got another dog the deer have avoided the property; but NOT before nailing the Nikko Blue hydrangea for the 4th. year running (dammit!). Oh well.

• veilchen
    19 years ago

lol Chelone, Rte. 95A! I'm sure I've been one of those "tourists" who have driven by your house (with inlaws in tow).

The first two years we lived here (Saco), I was ready to scream if I had to, one more time, drive through Kennebunkport, Ogunquit, Perkins Cove, Cape Neddick, and the Portland Headlight with visiting relatives. And I actually got sick of lobster the first year because we had so many consecutive visiting relatives who wanted to eat lobster several times during their vacation. Even now I'm happy if I only eat lobster once a year.

I had an aunt who visited frequently (passed away 2 years ago) whose favorite destination was the Clam Shack in Knbkpt. Somehow I never got sick of fried clams.

• chelone
    19 years ago

We have a running joke in our home that the first nice day in late winter the stream of cars appears. And who can blame them? the scenery is gorgeous and it's not a really "crowded" time of year.

MY pet peeve? SPEED LIMITS. It's 25mph in front of our home. And seeing 5+ cars blow by the driveway at 40mph is annoying. And how about those obnoxiously loud motorcyles? ("loud pipes save lives"? maybe... but they sure as hell disrupt the lives of people who live on "scenic routes").

I deal with litter you wouldn't believe. Dirty diapers ("disposable" doesn't mean you chuck it out the car window), beer cans/bottles, Dunkin' Donut, McDonald's trash... . We do the litter patrol once weekly and fill a trash bag with no problem.

I know readers here aren't the people who toss garbage out the car window, but you probably DO speed in my neighborhood, however unwittingly. So be reminded that when you visit an area, you need to be extra careful to be courteous and respectful. "Speeding" is the number one pet peeve of our neighbors, too. Until you've lived on a major tourist "drive" you have NO idea how annoying it can be...

I've lost count of the number of people who've stopped and asked for directions. I've happily and politely answered them (in French, too) because I love this place and want visitors to enjoy it, too.

Too long-wnded... you understand!

• gardener_weedin
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I am not likely to get a speeding ticket, I am usually too busy trying to find out what is planted in everybodies yard!
    My husband really does laugh at my shovel and rubber maid box in the back of my car...I am not too shy to ask, I never know if I don't.
    Most of the time I aquire a plant and another plant loving friend.
    As I said I have a 6 year old son and a dog, both of who answer natures call in the bushes around our house ( luckily we have 3 acres of wooded land and no visible neighbors) but the deer are so used to them that they just snack when they are in the house. I wouldn't mind it so bad if they would avoid the plants that are supposedly 'deer resistant'
    Oh well, I will keep planting more and eventually they will either be to fat to run away in the fall, or they will stay at the edge where the edible stuff is.

• nancylouise5me
    19 years ago

Ahhh Chelone I couldn't agree more about the speeding cars. Living right on the main road into town I think it is awful. Especially in the morning. People don't even stop for school buses anymore. They see the yellow warning flashers come on and think that that is a signal to speed up even faster so they don't have to stop for the kids waiting for the bus. I can identify with everything you say. Speed, trash, directions, and I'll throw in rudeness too. It seems that when people come here on vacation they think they can treat the town badly. Like it's not where they live so they can do anything they want. No, not everyone is disrespectful when they come but it has been getting more noticable over the years. All I ask is that vacationers treat our "tourist town" like you would your own town. Follow our simple rules...go the speed limit, save your trash for the dumpster, people in the crosswalks have the right of way, and if you want to look at the ocean don't do it in your car in the middle of the road. Pull over and let the traffic by. Follow these simple rules and both tourist and locals will be happy. NancyLouise

• lilyroseviolet
    19 years ago

I have a 6 yo and a 4 yo, I live on a back road but the family business is on our property which also runs over 30 vehicles including loud tractors and such. I worry all the time about my children and follow them like a mother bear. SOme of the younger drivers forget and speed the trucks, and the tourist...well we are on ocean front property and the tourist come down our small road fast as well.

I would like to put cut outs of children playing to remind people, great idea, time is my problem...so many ideas and not much time to get them complete. I need to get some signs out, my 2 kids are slipping out the door as this nice weather calls them to play. Cant stop worring about kids and traffic. :)

Sponsored