Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please advice on strawberry...

Posted by weew Summer (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 05 at 3:19

Hi folks,
I would like to find out, is it strawberry can only harvest once per plant? I mean will it be ever bearing fruits like tomato? Cos if the strawberry only can harvest once, i think i need to plant about 10 plants to meet my need.
Secondly, how many months i need to wait from seed to harvest.

Thanks

Weew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please advice on strawberry...

Are they the Alpine strawberries? These are the only ones I know of that can be grown from seed. I have some that I grew from seed from Pinetree Seeds. The berries are quite tart and flavorful, but small and not as prolific as regular strawberries. 5 plants may give you a handful of berries all together once they're established. If you're talking about making jam or pies, you'd need a whole field of them. They do produce berries repeatedly all summer.

o

• Posted by weew Malaysia (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 17, 05 at 4:32

Veilchen,
"They do produce berries repeatedly all summer."

If i let the plant to be there for 5 years, will it be have fruits every years or 3 months once? Because the place i live in there is no 4 seasons...We only have 1 season...

o

I didn't know you were from Malaysia. I don't know what a strawberry plant grown from seed will do in the tropics.

There is a fruit/orchards forum somewhere here on Gardenweb. I would post there with your question and also state the name of your strawberry variety.

o

• Posted by weew Summer (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 17, 05 at 22:24

Hi veilchen,

The name of my strawberry varieties is call 'Strawberry Temtaption'-is a compact vaeriety, i check through website, this variety is very suitable for tropic country-(no need of highland/cool/spring/fall weather).

Actually, what i like to know is, wheather the strawberry plant can bear fruits forever as long as i keep them alive, like tomato, I have plant sungold here, WOW!what the blossom, and it will provide me tomato 'forever' as long as i keep the PLANT ALIVE.

Thanks

o

Hi Weew
the strawberry you are trying to grow will produce fruits for a long period of time once it starts to fruit, afew will ripen every day for a long time.I dont know how long it will continue to do that because in maine the frost makes the plant go dormant for about 8 months.You and I dont have a lot in
common as far as climate.You might do better on the Florida or
Arizona gardening forums
good luck sundew

o

thanks for all the info.

o

• Posted by weew Summer (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 18, 05 at 22:35

Hi Sundew,
Thanks for your info about Strawberry Temptation. If as what you said, I can have strawberry for long, long, long time and the plant still bear fruit.AH ! What a save job! Because the seed package stated 28week to maturity, I just wish to have strawberry plant that will continnue bear fruit and not need to replant once the ONLY HARVEST begin harvest!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here