Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maineflowergirl

Small heater for mini-greenhouse

maineflowergirl
19 years ago

I have a mini-greenhouse (maybe 36 cubic feet) that I want to start seeds in. But I need to heat it with SOMETHING.

I tried just a light-bulb when we had it placed on our porch. Not warm enough. Put the greenhouse on the ground and tried a little propane heater but that would be HUGELY expensive. It used up one of those little canisters in about 5 hours and they cost about $2 a piece. Not a good choice.

I had a little electric heater that was working just fine but my husband didn't like it being on an extension cord, plus the heater wasn't one meant to be in a damp greenhouse anyway.

So...I looked on the internet and in England they use mini paraffin or kerosene heaters to heat small greenhouses and cold frames. BUT...the place I wanted to get it from won't ship to the US. I found one on eBay (again from England) and wrote to find out about shipping but the seller did not respond.

I am wondering if just putting a kerosene/paraffin lamp would do the trick, but I am thinking that as I get condensation, the drips will fall on the lamp's wick. Geesh.

Does ANYONE know of a source in the US of these mini kerosene heaters? I will show you the one I was looking at in England.

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/product/Greenhouse%20Equipment_Heaters/GHE-008.htm

That would be about $30 which is the kind of price I want to pay.

It seems like I can't be the only one who has looked for something like this. I am finding some other types in England too now, but if I can buy in the US, I would prefer that.

I may look around these forums and see if there is one dedicated to greenhouses and post there too. Thanks.

Joanie D.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor