Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
normathenewbie

last frost?

normathenewbie
16 years ago

okay I have figured out the planting schedule. but everything is based around the last frost date. how do I find out what the last frost date is for my area. does anyone know a link that would help or is anyone familiar with the frost dates in the Woolwich area? Any input would be helpful.

Thanks again to all of you for helping me get started this year on our veg. garden.

Norma

Comments (13)

• hatchjon
    16 years ago

hi normathenewbie,

You should be fine the last week of may. I live farther inland and farther north in Bradley. I bet on no frosts after May 20th.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog: The Wicked Good Garden

• robin_maine
    16 years ago

It's been unpredictable here for the last four years. It was late four springs ago, very early the next two springs (April!!), and late last year. I'll be happy if we're frost free by June 1. That's "normal" for this area. A half mile up the road they're two weeks ahead of me. They're in an open field so the wind helps. I have three open acres but otherwise completely surrounded by trees.

• zengeos
    16 years ago

Yup, I agree with Robin. The average last frost is the last week in May around here, though, as a noted, it can be unpredictable. The thing is, though, that soome plants, squash, peppers, tomatoes, etc...prefer warmer soil to plant into. So, if you plant out too early you could actually set them back a couple weeks!

OTOH, I hope to build a few cloches to heat the soil up a little faster, and thus plant out a little earlier...say Mid May.

Of course, Broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts, as well as beets and carrots, can go in much earlier. They can withstand moderate frosts with no problems. I hope to plant the broc, cauli and brussels sprouts the last weekend in April, then 1st or 2nd weekend in May start the carrots and beets. Onions will go out early as well. Lettuce is another plant you can sow early....For your cool season crops like these, don't be afraid to plant them out several times, a couple weeks apart. I have the brassicas I started indoors that will be ready to go out just about any time, and also have some wintersown brassicas that have germinated, which I hope to plant out just a couple weeks later, for example.

Of course, this is all just tentative. I have been just a dabbler until this year where I have gone overboard.

• normathenewbie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well I asked my parents neighbor who does a small garden and she said they usally plant Memorial Day weekend. So thinking that's a good time. My ground is thawing nicely, can put a stake in the ground about 6 inches with ease. I will be doing raised beds I think as we have a lot of ledge in our yard. so not sure how that will make a difference. I'm hoping to build the beds this week. Thankfully my ex brother in law owns a saw mill and I'm sure he will give me some scrap lumber to build them. and next weekend gets some fill for the beds. still researching what exactly I should have for fill..... not sure if straight soil is ideal. there is sure a lot to learn about gardens I never realized. I always thought, you tilled the land and put in the seeds and just waited for things to grow. lol, boy was I sadly mistaken. But I know all the hard work and research will be worth it in the end.
    Thanks everyone
    Norma

• newgardenelf
    16 years ago

I did a little experiment with peas and squash last year planting them two weeks apart and the ones I started earlier popped out first but the ones I planted two weeks later actually caught up within a couple of weeks and they all began to bear fruit around the same time. I had a friend plant too early last year and she lost it all so I think better safe then sorry but that's just my opinion- I hate doing things twice.

• happymainemom_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Is it true that with raised beds you can plant a little earlier? Is it the frost in the ground that damages or the frost on the top?

Here is a link that might be useful: Not really useful...just my blog *~*Classical Beginnings*~*

• barncats
    15 years ago

Easy - The last frost is one week after you decide it is safe to plant...

• rachel597
    15 years ago

Norma, you mentioned raised beds...Have you looked into Square Foot Gardening? There is a forum here on GardenWeb.

I am going to try a couple of raised beds this year as well as my traditional garden. DH and I will build them this weekend and fill with Mel's Mix of 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss, and 1/3 compost (from as many sources as possible).

Around Memorial Day is usually when I have most of my garden planted. But you do need to watch the weather for some late frosts and cover some your plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Square Food Gardening

• diene
    14 years ago

Estabrooks sent me an e-mail last night with a frost alert which did not happen here but the morning news said tonight will be colder.

• sue36
    14 years ago

Im in Southern Maine and people generally use May 31st as the last forst date, but I think it is unusally more like the 20th. This year has been freaky, we haven't had a frost since MARCH.

• lotsa_rocks
    14 years ago

Looks like a light frost is probable in my area (between Augusta and Brunswick) tonight. I covered up the nasturtium and brought my seedlings inside for the evening. My normal policy is to wait until end of May to plant annuals but the nasturtium got pretty huge on me and have been out for over a week now. sue36, we had a very light frost on Thursday morning, but everything made it through that fine. Tonight I think it's going to get cold enough here that it might do tender things some serious damage.

• jimzz12
    14 years ago

I bank on the last frost being June 15th.

It's a better safe than sorry assessment after loosing juvenile gardens in early June to frost.

• Fred_in_Maine
    14 years ago

I'm in Portland. This year was my earliest start ever. I got tomatoes in the raised beds on May 9. They are doing well considering lack of sun for the last month. Toms are about 3 to 4 feet tall, all have flowers, and several are setting fruit.

Cucumbers were started May 15 and looked good until the rains came. They are still tiny this first week of July.

Fred

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert