Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hansayellow_gw

Maine average bloom times?

hansayellow
17 years ago

hi, Anyone know what week daffodils tend to bloom in zone 4?

I'm zone 4(b) & am relatively new to gardening in Maine. Any of you seasoned gardeners have records of average dates? I'm wondering about average bloom times for daffodils, lilac, peonies etc. in Maine, esp zone 4.

I began a garden journal to track dates because after our long winters, I am watching every little promising detail....

Thanks,

hansayellow

Comments (6)

• veilchen
    17 years ago

Every year I swear I'm going to start a garden journal, but then I get busy in the garden and don't seem to have the time.

I will say bulbs are late this year, I have some narcissus that haven't even poked up yet.

• robin_maine
    17 years ago

Zone tells us only the average annual coldest temperature in a given area. It isn't useful for bloom times or planting dates or any of the many other things it gets credit for. It is useful when you're choosing perennials or making choices on varieties for winter growing.

If your bulbs are against a foundation in full sun they'll break dormancy, grow and bloom a lot sooner than bulbs in a cooler spot. Different varieties of a flower will bloom at different times. My bulbs are usually up but not quite blooming now but this year they're 2" tall and under 8" of snow. It's a lot of wait 'n see.

• mscratch
    17 years ago

It's defintely a wait and see this year. I have tulips and daffs on the southside of the house that are up and coming along fine.. whereas the others in the yards have not even poked up yet and are under MORE snow.. I am getting a bit concerned, this is my first year of living in Maine and I set out 700 bulbs! (remember when Mardens had the bulb sales?)lol..

• hansayellow
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks everyone for your postings. I understand about zones...I know at best they are only a rough guide. I planted 100 daffodils chosen to stretch the bloom time. Those on the southern exposure and near the drive are furthest along but my first scilla did bloom yesterday. What a pleasure such a small flower can bring.

• downeastwaves
    16 years ago

I planted over 100 bulbs last fall and it looks like most of them are heading for blooms. Got to LOVE Marden's!

Eastport has a long season, we are warming up nicely and we do not get a frost until real late in the fall. The ocean all around us keeps us cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

• mscratch
    16 years ago

Just an update on the bulbs.. the ones nearest the house are beginning to bloom..Hooray! the ones in the yard have not shown any sign of popping up yet. The snow is gone and it has warmed up so hopefully I will see some popping up before long.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH