Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
From Away - Need help

Posted by waker waker RI (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 12, 09 at 13:15

We moved up to Buxton last summer - too late to start much of a garden. Now that spring is coming (haven't had snow in a couple of weeks), we need some sources. Where in the Portland area is a good and reasonably priced place for compost, mulch, top soil?

Also, more specifically, when is a good time to de-mulch the roses? We brought some with us and they appear to have survived.

We are going to be trying for perennials, annuals, vegetables (raised beds) and shrubs. Got to get going before the snow comes again.

Any help/advice/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Al and Bea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: From Away - Need help

Welcome, Al. I live in Saco. I get compost by the truckload from DuBois Topsoil, I think they are in Dayton. They sell that shellfish compost at a much more reasonable rate than anyone else around here, and their delivery rate is far less as compared to a nursery that is 1/4 mile down the road from me. As far as mulch, if you need more than bags (i.e., truckload), call around and compare prices from the suppliers closest to you. If you have to pay a delivery fee, distance matters. I'm not sure if Dubois sells mulch.

De-mulch the roses, as in you piled mulch on top of them for winter protection? It can be definitely be removed now.

o
RE: From Away - Need help

Hello Al & Bea;
I am also in Saco and bought top soil from Bayley's Elk Farm in Scarborough last fall. It was some of the best dirt I had seen in a long time and reasonably priced. Depending on where you are in Buxton, that could be an option.
The Saco transfer station is offering compost but you have to pick it up and I am not sure if you need to be a resident but they were charging residents $ 3 a cubic yard.
My favorite nursery/farm stand is in your town, Snell's. They are on Route 112 just north of Route 4A and are the nicest people. They will give you plenty of advice and it never costs.
Welcome to Maine.
diene

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here