Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macropora

I like the night life baby..Lets go!

macropora
18 years ago

I decided to take the kids out the other night to listen to the spring peepers and see if we could find some spotted sally's, well I didnt expect to see so many! We counted and looked at 274 spotteds on a a 6 mile stretch of road and stopped counting peepers at 300.

We drive this road by our house back and forth until they fall asleep (my 2 kids), its a quiet area and there is little traffic. We also found a few Ea. toads and kept those to put in the garden. We have the little huts for them, I made them from a whole coconut cut in half and a small opening cut out from it. It looks like a little grass hut. I have 5 around the whole thing. 2 are still in them but I dont expect them to stay. They dont stick around this time of the year, they are all "twitterpated" and seeking a fine lumpy female friend for a little fun.

We are going out again tonight to collect the egg masses of some sally's and bring them back to our house. I breed several types of exotic frogs and have plenty of space in a few of my tadpole tanks. We have done this before also, we raise flightless fruitflys and crickets for the other frogs and it works well for them.

You have to love the sounds of spring and the slimy feel of these awesome amphibians slithering around in your hands! Warm rainy nights in the next month will bring out the Gray tree frog and we cant wait!

Mac

Comments (2)