Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgardenelf

wake up it's Spring- I hope

newgardenelf
16 years ago

We've had a long winter! What are you doing to get ready for the season? I have a friend who already put out her plants and is planning to plant in Portland May 15th. I'm just waiting to see what the weather does- how about you= what is your estimated date to plant?

Comments (9)

• robin_maine
    16 years ago

I'll walk up back tomorrow to check the soil. If it's ready I'll be planting peas and some cold weather greens. Warm crops won't be planted until June 2.

• newgardenelf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nice- my MIL convinced me to plant peas St. Paddy's day- she said they'd be fine----well you can guess- all dead after the snow and rain from the Nor'easter- they floated to the top and some birds ran off with them. oh well.

What greens are you growing?

• robin_maine
    16 years ago

I'll direct seed pak choi, tatsoi, a few lettuces, beets, kale, Swiss chard and arugula.

Do you have more peas to replace the ones you lost? It's still a little too wet and there's still frost in the ground so I didn't plant yesterday.

• veilchen
    16 years ago

I planted my onion seedlings this week outdoors. Also a few perennials I had grown from seed.

Planted some sweet peas yesterday. Lettuce sown from seed is up but tiny (had a cold frame over it several weeks).

Wanted to plant carrot and kale seeds but ran out of time--now it's supposed to rain for two days.

• newgardenelf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice list of greens. I've done bok choi and it grows like a charm

veilchen- do you have raised beds? In Portland the ground is warm and was dry as a bone.

I do have some peas left in the packet and also I started growing some inside as an experiment- some are in a hanging planter which will go on the deck and some are in seed trays-to trade or transplant- they are a couple of inches tall.

yesterday before the rain I prepared our pumpkin mounds. someone said to build the mound, lay down black weed block to heat up the mound, cover it all with dirt and before planting throw on the compost and cut through the weed block? it's a home owners special!

sadly I discovered that our lawn is covered with grubs! yuck and I've read all the treatments and am not thrilled with any of them. I may try the tobacco one as that seems the least invasive, cheapest, and easiest.

our neighbors just had a company come put something on the grass. I asked the kid what was in it and he really didn't know- its to kill crabgrass but with this rain we are sure to get some of it on our side and our veggie garden is pretty close (it is a raised bed) do you think I should be worried????

• veilchen
    16 years ago

Yes I have raised beds.

Good luck with the grubs. I doubt the tobacco will work on them. You can try milky spore, which is organic, but it takes several years to have an effect, if it works at all.

I wouldn't worry about the what the neighbor's putting on the grass, it shouldn't drift unless he's spraying it.

• newgardenelf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

what if I burn the lawn- just kidding.

what do you put in your raised beds for soil?

• veilchen
    16 years ago

When we built them I filled them with the soil that was dug out for the beds/paths, compost, and peat moss. I would have skipped the peat moss if I had more compost at the time.

• newgardenelf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

how are the things you planted doing? I'm dying to plant so I may try my peas this week if the rain let's up.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville