Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maine_gardener

Finaly some rain

maine_gardener
19 years ago

It sure seems nice to hear the rain here tonight. It is so dry here.I have over 100 hostas and not a one yet is showing eyes. I do think its because of the lack or rain. I bet lawns will look so much greener after tonights rain!

Even with the lack of rain all my 200 plus daylilys are doing great.

I hope this dry spring doesn't mean a dry summer. I sure love to let the rain do the watering for me. As I have a well and worry about the water. Let it rain let it rain!

Comments (8)

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

We woke to a half inch of snow this morning. I found my hostas yesterday. They were barely peaking out of the ground. I almost missed them.

• maineman
    19 years ago

I caught about 20 gallons of that rain water to use for watering my seedlings under fluorescent lights. My supply of snow water has run out. I'm glad I got my tilling done before the rain. It's a beautiful sunny cool day today. Got outside work to do.

MM

• chelone
    19 years ago

Yeah, we need rain, too. I'm actually looking forward to a weekend of it... but hope it doesn't ruin the display on the Magnolia stellata... wah.

• lilyroseviolet
    19 years ago

let er rain. (looking up to the clear skies and watching the cloud coverage coming in)

• chelone
    19 years ago

It's pelting outside right now. One cat is hanging out in the window box on the west side of the house under the 24" soffit. Another is under the Filon shed roof that covers the cordwood; neither shows any interest in coming indoors. :) Two more are contentedly curled up on "woolies", and the dog is sacked out on his bed. All is peaceful here.

The lawn is getting greener by the hour, and once we have a sunny, warm day things are going to explode. I have a TON of things to get done in the garden before that happens; nothing is tougher than cutting back old foliage on certain perennials without nipping the new growth (thinking of Siberian iris in particular!). NOW, if the rain would only coincide with our day off... so we could burn a little more of the brush we cut late last fall...

• veilchen
    19 years ago

I am getting as much work done inside as possible so I don't have to worry about it once the rain stops, and I can spend all the time I need outside.

I missed the sunny warm weather last week as we were on vacation in Plymouth and Martha's Vineyard. (it was sunny and warm there, too, but I couldn't garden!). Our grass is really greening up too and it won't be too long before the first mow, perennials seem to be growing an inch a day.

• marthacr
    19 years ago

OK OK enough rain now for a while!!

• chelone
    19 years ago

More on the way tomorrow. It is unlikly that every weekend will be rainy, but I'd like to get out and move/divide some stuff.