Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyroseviolet

where is everyone?

lilyroseviolet
18 years ago

Seems all the forums have dropped off in activity...sure sign of Spring being Sprung I guess.

How is the ole gardens doing?

I too am out of my mind trying to get ahead of the black flies and mosquitoes and rain! llol

Comments (10)

• veilchen
    18 years ago

I'm here. Although GW was down yesterday a.m. I think I have gotten my garden mostly in order, did a lot of transplanting, moving, dividing, taking advantage of the frequent rains.

• cybertrek
    18 years ago

Out in the garden planting shrubs and perrenials all week.

• robin_maine
    18 years ago

I started transplanting cabbage, broccoli and brussels sprouts to the garden and am still moving seedlings from trays to six packs. I need to transplant out spinach and and the beet greens I started in the greenhouse today. There's a glaringly bright object in the sky this morning that looks vaguely familiar. I'm sure it won't last long.

• mainesfwriter
    18 years ago

Cuttinig the freakin' lawn three times, already! "Pave it and paint it green," my neighbor in a long-ago trailer park and I used to say to each other as we mowed. I love gardens and shrubs. Grass? A blasted time-waster, but I can't stand to look at a hayfield, either.

I've replaced the climbing rose and one of the two minis that winter-killed. Considering how many roses I have, that was a very good score. I've put in a small forsythia, and that's probably going to be it for my new plantings right now.

Oh, SURE it is. I'm picking up some irises this afternoon (forgot about that!) from my mom, whose apartment house is having a sewer dig go right through her perennial bed. Rescue operation. Don't know when I'll get them put in, though, if the weather forecast is accurate.

My window boxes (mixed annual seeds) are coming up nicely. I'll soon be able to move the tuberous begonias and herbal geraniums out of the living room and onto the deck.

I LOVE SPRING!

• lilyroseviolet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hi veilchen, cybertrek, Robin and Mainesfwriter-

it is indeed Spring...glad to be in touch with you all.

I was busy moving compost and mulch around in my wheel barrel - My 6 year old son planted a 8 foot apple tree today. He dug the hole and I placed it as he was too tired and too cute! Its in bloom right now...( must of arrived from a warmer zone recently). Anyways- its beautiful and I am glad to be a part of a planting that may live over a hundred years! awesome

• chelone
    18 years ago

I managed to get the window boxes planted on Saturday (even washed the windows) and the lawn mown. Good thing, too, given the stubborn weather pattern.

I've been thwarted by rain every time I've wanted to go out and dig and divide things. I fear I missed my window of opportunity with respect to a couple of huge hostas...

I'd really like to see some sun, but it's not looking too hopeful this week. :(

• cybertrek
    18 years ago

Wow LRV,

Must be one beefy, persistent six year old. Do you hire him out? How nice for him to be able to grow and watch "his tree" grow as well. Long after you and I are gone he and his children will be able to transport back in time by visiting the tree. This is one of the many things I love about planting and cultivating.

Happy gardening.

• lilyroseviolet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, he is very strong and tall...most people mistake him for a 10 year old.
    I wont tell you the story about saving the placenta (afterbirth) to plant it with a tree to mark his birth. The placenta was in a plastic bag and was placed in a chest freezer. What happen was ...no I wont tell you that the electric got disconnected and it all rotted and stunk and we had to bury it out in the woods really deep and there was no tree with it! Yuck, never do that again, and hopefully never have anymore kids (at my age)!lol

• macropora
    18 years ago

I feel like I am way behind this spring, I just got the garden tilled last weekend and expanded it to 25x80. I havn't touched it since! All rain and wind, I will be wishing for such conditions this summer with the stagnant air and black flies chomping on me behind my ears. I have all my squash ready to go and a few other things. My wife and I finally got out in our beds and did some spring cleaning and weeding. Our schedules are so friggen busy this year, I hate it! We are going to have to get a move on here or else it will be to late!
    Mac

• downeastwaves
    18 years ago

Well, if the rain would let up! No bug though, it is a real treat not to have to fight the black flies or skiders....Leasa

Sponsored