Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maineman_gw

Black flies are here now!

maineman
18 years ago

Hi all,

Well, today the inevitable happened. Black flies mobbed me while I was setting out some onion plants. I killed a couple. I donned a long-sleeved shirt, a long sleeved shirt, and a headnet.

MM

Comments (13)

• maine_gardener
    18 years ago

Oh no so far haven't seen them here yet. But I expect them any day now.Nothing worse then black flies.

• wally2k1
    18 years ago

I live in Eastern Maine and they haven't made it here yet. They say it has to be 50 degrees before they come out. So my guess is they should be here about August. Just Kidding but it does seem that way sometimes.

• sparrowhawk
    18 years ago

Yep, they've been out for a few days now. We put up 3 bird houses last year and 3 more this year. Tree swallows came back early this year and have moved into all of them. The population of the little blood suckers is SO much better this year.

A little tip I feel I should share....take vitamin B6 about 20 minutes before going out in the yard. I take 300 mg myself (about every 1-2 hours), but you can't take too much since it's water soluble. The key is an inbalance of B's (a multi-vitamin or B-complex won't work). Something about the vitamin excreting through the pores that makes you unsavory to the bugs. The might still fly at you, but they don't bite! Silent prayers for a little wind works too :)

I also noticed they don't come out until it reaches 50 degrees, so I've started getting up at the crack of dawn these days!

• dagrar12
    18 years ago

Hey got a mosqutio magnet loaded with ocental and looked in the beast this evening 40 or so black flies and counting and not one bite. Yee Hawwwww

Dale

• robin_maine
    18 years ago

I stood outside at UMM yesterday and enjoyed a light breeze and clear air. I stepped out of my car at home and was swarmed by blackflies almost immediately. Tis the season. =(

If you can find a handmade soap with citronella it's helpful. I shower with it in the morning and it lasts until it's too warm for the blackflies to stay out.

• mainerose
    18 years ago

We invested in a Blue Rhino Skeeter Beater last summer, and it has worked very well for us. Since it runs using propane it is easily moved. The directions said that it would take about 24 hours to become effective, but ours had the area pretty well cleared the first hour we used it. We can finally enjoy the outdoors without soaking ourselves in DEET or wearing bug suits. The model we purchased was supposed to clear a half-acre area, but I think it clears a larger area than that. We have a 3 acre lot and most of it was pretty bug-free for the entire summer.

• lilyroseviolet
    18 years ago

no bites yet, but anticipating them and working like as fast as I can for now....the blackflies are coming the blackflies are coming. I need to get the screened jacket on...now where did I store that? lol

• josie_2
    18 years ago

Hello MaineRose,Your Skeeter Beater sounds like a must have for me.May I ask which one you have and did you buy it in Maine ?.I was looking at the Magnet on display at H.D.plastic cover was broken with holes and cracks in it.I passed on that,I would expect better for hundreds of dollars.Regards Josie _2

• mainerose
    18 years ago

Josie---I got the name wrong---it's actually called a Blue Rhino Skeeter Vac---not Beater. I got mine on EBay---good price and fast shipping---but I'm sure there must be some dealers in Maine. If not, there should be---this device is really awesome. Its primary purpose is to kill mosquitos, but it also did a great job on our black fly population. We always put up lots of bird houses and have a great bird population, but they just can't keep up with the bugs in our neck of the woods.

• mainemary
    18 years ago

Sam's Club in Bangor has the Blue Rhino Skeeter Vac for a little under $300. I just got mine and am looking forward to it working. Lots of flies and mosquitoes in Brewer already!

• mainerose
    18 years ago

Saw one at Sam's Club in Augusta on Friday. I groaned at the price I had to pay last year, but it really worked well.

• josie_2
    18 years ago

I got one from Sams at Augusta today.Thanks Mainerose and Mainemary.Would have got it all ready this afternoon ,but was sidetracked by Canadian Geese showing off their 7 tiny babies.This is the 2nd year for them to come so close to us to breed.Regards Josie_2

• lilyroseviolet
    18 years ago

Josie, how cool to see the ducklings! We have a mallard couple hanging out in our new pond and sharing feed with our chinese white geese- no ducklings, I do see this couple everyday so I hope to see some babies (fingers crossed)

Sparrowhawk- thanks for the info. Like the idea of getting up early to work to beat the black flies!

Today I did not get one single bite, it was cool and it was windy. I'll try to B thing and see on other days.
    thanks again

have a good rest of this rainy weekend all....

Sponsored