Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
downeastwaves

Looking for yellow suggestions

downeastwaves
17 years ago

Hi,

We are trying to beautify our back yard a bit. We are looking for yellows that will hold up in Eastport where it is cool and foggy often.

Any suggestions? I have a yellow foxglove that I got on an exchange, this is the third year and they are looking real healthy. Also, I have yellow loose strife that is planted in beach rocks around a maple tree and they are doing real fine. Outside of that, no more yellows, I'd really like suggestions for what might be good to grow here....

Thanks!

Leasa

PS I have plenty of dandies!

Here is a link that might be useful: Eastport

Comments (4)

• silverkelt
    17 years ago

Good Morning,

Rudbeckia or its more common name black eyed susan would hold up very well. Reseeds itself, can overtake a bed , but not ahead of easily controlling it. Also drought tolerent for the most part.

Evening primrose can be had in a yellow the ones I see at muture form will be about 2 - 3 feet high and wide.

There is also a new yellow coneflower which would do well, though I find the hybrid Echinacea to be a little expensive as they are popular at the moment.

Yellow lupines can be had as well, though probable hard to find by itself in seed form without the other colors mixed in. (I pefer yellow mixed in with other colors anyways)

Hybrid f1 series violias, there are yellow versions now, I have some, pretty care free and pretty to see.

Yellow daylilies, there is probable a 1000 you can choose from. Just dont get stella de ora (LOL just kidding, its just I see it on my drive into work like a million times, though take a look at the siloam Amazing Grace, thats a wondeful yellow daylily.) However daylilies are pretty care free and wonderful for the few weeks they are in bloom.

My last suggestions would be lillium either asiatic or oriental, though some areas have a problem with mice and squirrles chewing on them. There is some yellow hybrids of each type as well.

Or do a search at blue stone perennials for your zone, Im guessing eastport would be a zone4/5 or so. If you wanted something that climbs their is a yellow clematis that would work .

• paulaj
    17 years ago

How about coreopsis, linaria, tulips and the daylily Hyperion?

• maureenbee
    17 years ago

Leasa,

Several fine plants have been mentioned. Two of my yellow favorites of late are Euphorbia polychroma (epithymoides), 'cushion spurge', and Sedum ellacombianum 'stonecrop'. The Euphorbia produces chartreusy-yellow bracts in May/June. It's hardy (I just moved a couple of clumps in full bloom and they settled in immediately) and long-lived. And in the fall, the foliage becomes a delightful coppery-bronze color. The stonecrop is a season long pleasure. It tucks in anywhere, establishes happily, and when in bloom, it's a particular delight. If it is set in the garden, as opposed to invited to dwell in and amongststone walls, it mounds. Also, Yarrow has yellows that might be pleasing to you. And not to forget 'Basket of Gold' (Aurinia saxatilis).

I second silverkelt's suggestion of the yellow hybrid Echinacea. It is so popular 'round here that one local nursery had sold out last week. I ditto silverkelt's disdain of its ridiculous price; yet, I'm likely to cave in and buy anyhow. I love the 'Sunrise' variety.

Today I was looking at an ornamental grass, Hakonechola Macra 'Aureola'. It's Z5 hardy, yellowy, well behaved (forms clumps and stays clumped) and blooms in July-August. And for the shadier part of the garden, I noticed that Zizia aptera, 'heart-leaved Alexander', is being sold this year at one of the local nurseries.

Have fun!

Maureen

• mikefrommaine
    17 years ago

My "Yellow Flag" irises (Iris Pseudacorus) are looking pretty good right now with all this rain. They like a wet spot.