Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverkelt

shrubby honeysuckly

silverkelt
17 years ago

IT filled my backyard with the most wonderful smell on monday. Too bad its a invasive, its also on the edge of my property near a wood border, not really my responsiblity to dig up, though I have tried to keep it in check . Its too bad that its so invasive, as birds use it to nest and eat the fruit as well. I can tell you one thing that beats it out, Elderberry , mine is over 16 feet at least, underneath a black cherry tree. Ive had to trim that out of my yard several times as well.

A shame, that smell is to die for...

Comments (2)

• roycebro
    17 years ago

So is it illegal to plant in Maine or something?
    I have seen that all over Florida at the resorts. I thought it was called a night blooming jasmine. But it looks just like your picture.
    It would be really pretty over an arbor.

Heather in Maine

• silverkelt
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I believe it is on the invavise list , so yes it would be illegal to plant... however on my drive to work every morning I see someone who has used them as a hedge row of sorts, they border a small grove of redbuds that this gardener has planted. However unlike other invasives, this one is pretty beneficial to wildlife, as I have personally seen birds use it as a home and eat its red fruit in late fall.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County