Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainerose

Warning - Terrible Potting Soil

mainerose
15 years ago

On Sunday I purchased a bag of Expert Potting Soil (I think that's the brand---comes in a pink bag)from my local W**-M*** store to plant my containers. This is about half the cost of other brands and I have never had problem with it before. Not this time. When I opened the bag, the top part of the soil was covered with white cobwebby-like stuff and smelled foul!! In spite of that, I was stupid enough to go ahead and use it in several containers. WARNING: the terrible smell is persisting and I have already lost my rosebud impatiens and the rest of the annuals I planted are not looking good at all. (Fortunately, I ran out of time and didn't get everything planted so it's not a total loss). The store did refund my price of purchase for the soil, but I will have to buy a lot new plants. I hope I have learned my lesson---from now on I'm sticking with Miracle-Gro soil. I have instructed my husband to dump the containers today as far away from the house as he can get! Just be warned that this is NOT the soil to use!

Comments (7)

• maineman
    15 years ago

MaineRose,

I have found that Premier Pro Mix BX is even more to my liking than the Miracle-Gro product. I purchase mine at a local garden store (Longfellow's Greenhouse), but I have also purchased it at our local AgWay. It costs a little more, but I think it is worth it. For seed starting, I add a little extra Perlite to it.

MM

• mainerose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Maineman. Lost a pot of nasturtiums yesterday. Am going to take a vacation day tomorrow and try to save a couple of Calibrachoa. My fault in trying to use the stuff, but I honestly did not realize how toxic it was. I was at Longfellows last Saturday buying plants---can't really afford to return for a couple of weeks with the price of gas, so this has been a pretty costly lesson.

• troichen
    15 years ago

***SNIP***When I opened the bag, the top part of the soil was covered with white cobwebby-like stuff and smelled foul!! In spite of that, I was stupid enough to go ahead and use it in several containers.***SNIP***

Me too!!! (Although it was the yellow perfect gardiner bag) I used it anyway...cause I'm stupid, and the plants are stunted and not growing.

Is it safe to dump it in the yard somewhere?

• mainerose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am fortunate enough to have a pretty large property. My husband dumped it all down at the far end by a brush pile. I lost about $40. worth of plants (sob) and well as a mossy basket liner that cost me $12. a few years ago. I will NEVER again buy cheap potting soil. I did notice that Wal-Mart has removed all of the bags from the interior of the store, but the smell persists in that area. I wish I were a lawyer---I hate frivolous lawsuits but my plants are darned important to me and The Evil Store might just find themselves in court. I'm sure I'd lose, but I would love to tweak their tail!! (BG)

• chicken_lady
    15 years ago

I have a good friend that also bought that WallyWorld potting soil and it just like rotted her impatients too. She ended up buying all new plants and cleaned her planters(the hayrack style with those mat like liners). She rinsed the liners in a weak bleach solution and refilled with the Miracle Gro potting soil and put in her new plants. They are growing beautifully. She salvaged what she could of her sick plants, what hadn't turned to mush, rinsed the bad soil off the roots and potted them up in the good stuff and they seem to be doing fine now too! I told her that's why you never buy the cheap stuff! I've used Pro Mix for years now and it works great!

• cosmolover
    15 years ago

I agree with "chicken lady".........I don't use anything other that Premier Pro Mix and have great luck with it. I have also experimented with Miracle Gro Moisture Control and am having good luck with that as well.

• diene
    15 years ago

Sounds like spider mites in the soil, you could try to use a systemic in the pots to save the plants. I have trouble with cheap house plants having critters in the soil so I am a firm believe in systemics. Sorry I did not stop by sooner.
    diene

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living