Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyrie_gw

Source for Straw

kellyrie
15 years ago

Does anyone know of a good place to get clean straw in southern/central ME? Looking for some to mulch my veggie garden but all I can seem to find it hay. There is a difference right?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• mainerose
    15 years ago

Hi! I much prefer straw---easier to handle and far fewer weed seeds. I know that Whitewater Farm in New Sharon carries it. I would check with your nearest Farmer's Union or get in touch with some horse people in your area. They might have some ideas for a source.

• adirondackgardener
    15 years ago

Paris Farmers Union had some a couple of weeks ago. Pretty expensive, though. About $7.50/bale.

Wayne

• kellyrie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! Paris Farmers Union did have it!

• adirondackgardener
    15 years ago

Kellyrie, I'm going to apologize now if your garden is infested with weeds from the straw you bought as mine is. I bought 5 bales to use as mulch on my veggie beds, though at $7.50 a bale, I couldn't pile it very deeply. I did pile it deeply enough to smother the native weeds but the huge amount of oat seed in the straw has all been germinating and thriving in my veggie beds.

I should have bought mulch hay for a third of the price and bought three times as much. I'll never again listen to anyone who says "only buy straw, never buy hay. Hay has too much seed in it." I only bought the straw because I didn't have a source for hay since moving here, but I'll be dammned sure I find one before I buy another bale of overpriced, over-seedy straw.

Again, sorry for recommending the source if you're having the same problem I am.

Wayne

• daylilylady
    15 years ago

I have had the best luck with pine needles to keep weeds at bay in my flower/veggie gardens; works like a charm and free. I keep a bag in the car in case I spot clumps along the side of the road.
    Marilyn

• bberry_gw
    15 years ago

I have been selling meadow hay for 30 years to many gardeners. I have also been supplying it to organic farmers. It is a choice material for gardens since it has no seeds that sprout in it. I also use it in my garden and around my fruit trees. Much better and cheaper than straw. E-mail me for a time to pick up a load. gherger@mgemaine.com

• kellyrie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Wayne,
    Fortunately I have been so busy that I haven't been able to get the straw into the garden, it is still sitting next to it in a bale. I did notice today as I moved it though that there are some green weeds growing all through it! That combined with your post tells me I will refrain from spreading it on my garden. Thanks for the follow-up and I am sorry you are fighting those weeds!
    Kelly

Sponsored