Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hardening off seedlings

Posted by dmarie7 4a (My Page) on
Sat, May 8, 10 at 11:01

Hello all. I actually have 2 questions. I've been working
very hard for a weed to harden off some huckleberry seedlings and hot pepper seedlings. Now it looks like bad
weather for a good 10 days (that was as far as the extended
forecast would let me see). Will I lose all the ground I've
made on hardening off, or will they stay at whatever hardened off level they've reached? Also, is there a
guideline for when seedlings themselves are ready for
transplant, besides hardening off and outside temps? Should
they have a certain number of leaves?? Thanks for all the
info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardening off seedlings

I doubt you'd be able to bring them back inside for 10 days and then put them back out for good. I think you'll have to restart the process. Not sure about the huckleberry, but every kind of pepper needs consistent warm conditions, which we will not have until June. I'd fear you'd lose those seedlings altogether if you leave them out, even under row cover. Being ready to transplant depends on the plant and the time of the season and if you've hardened off enough. Fedco seeds has a good planting guide for central Maine (link below), but experience is the best guide. I use the general rule that warm weather loving plants like tomatoes, peppers, melons, cucumbers, etc are best transplanted in June and covered most nights, even through the summer. And even then we can only hope for less cold rain and more warm sun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fedco Seeds Planting Guide

o
RE: hardening off seedlings

very grateful for the info.i'll be cont. planting my peppers, as i just learned (yeah gardenweb) that theyre perennials. that way I could overwinter them and not have to do this again next year. i was thrilled w/the warm weather today. the huckleberries (only) went out all day. from 9 - 7. i watched them very closely the first few hrs as it was chilly, but they did fine. quite a breeze today too... i wonder how hearty they're supposed to be??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here