Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anahmi

Nonblooming rhododendron

Andrea M
18 years ago

Hi, we moved to Maine last year, so I'm still learning about the local foliage. I have a single nice old rhododendron in my yard, but it has not bloomed. Not a single bud! Everyone else's seems to have had a beautiful showing. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Are rhodies like some plants where only the "girls" bloom? Do I need to plant some more for appropriate pollinization (I think that's the correct term)? Does it need some special fertilizer? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• lilyroseviolet
    18 years ago

some possiblities are that the current location isnt good for it, the deer ate the blooms, location is what comes to mind mostly. That it had the buds pruned off last year is another possibility, much like lilacs....was it pruned in the winter?

• sparrowhawk
    18 years ago

It's also possible that you have a later blooming variety. Mine haven't broken bud yet either.

• Andrea M
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info! We didn't trim them at all this year, and the deer haven't been at them, so hopefully they're just late bloomers. The bush is in the front yard, facing east, about four feet out from the house. It gets some light and some shade depending on the time of day, and it's pretty sheltered from the wind there. I'm not sure if that type of location is good for rhodies, but the other things that were planted around it seemed happy enough. Anyway, thanks again, and I'll let you know if the rhododendron starts to bloom. Wish me luck!

• sparrowhawk
    18 years ago

I lived in a home with west facing rhodies and found mine bloomed 1-2 weeks later than my neighbors with south facing shrubs of the same variety.