Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tess_gardener

Belgrade, Maine

tess_gardener
17 years ago

We will be coming to Maine in mid-June and I need some recommendations for a good garden center to buy plants - both annuals and perennials. Belgrade is about 15 miles from Augusta.

Also, some questions:

Does the Fairy Rose do well in this area?

Will I have enough time put in some sunflower seeds and have them bloom? I will not be able to start them indoors.

Any recommendations for a good gardening book for Maine?

many thanks,

Tess

Comments (3)

• maineman
    17 years ago

Tess,

Longfellow's Greenhouses in Manchester, Maine are my first choice, because they are nearby and a class act. I don't know about the Fairy Rose, but Longfellow's phone number is 207-622-5965

I think your sunflowers should bloom from seeds planted out.

There are Maine-specific gardening books, but I don't have any of them. I use "Cold-Climate Gardening, How to Extend Your Growing Season by at Least 30 Days" by Lewis Hill.

"Month-by-Month Gardening in New England" by Jacqueline Heriteau & Holly Hunter Stonehill has also been helpful. I also like their "New England Gardener's Guide", and it has nice color pictures.

I also refer to "The 12-Month Gardener, Simple Strategies for Extending Your Growing Season" by Jeff Ashton. And, although I am not an organic gardener myself, I find that Eliot Coleman's "Four-Season Harvest" has some helpful information.

I have several other gardening books that are not regionally specific. But I have found these forums to be of more help than the books. And, of course, trial and error in the garden. My Mother used to refer to that as "By guess and by golly."

MM

• mainerose
    17 years ago

Welcome! As Maineman said, Longfellows in Augusta is great, although I do find them a little pricey. You might also want to check Robin's Flower Pot in Farmington. Robin Jordan was the landscaper for the University of Maine at Farmington for many years and now owns a rapidly-growing (no pun intended) nursery business. Alas, I have not had much luck with The Fairy. I do have a lot of lovely antique roses which seem to thrive in spite of my awful climate. However, I am in Farmington, and Belgrade just might be warm enough so she would be happy there. I think it might depend on just how much winter protection you would be willing to give her.

Here is a link that might be useful: Robin's Flower Pot

• tess_gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Many thanks for all of the helpful tips. I will stop in Longfellows after we arrived and have already checked out Robin's Flower Pot site, which is wonderful! Robin assures me there will be plenty of plants when we arrive in June.
    Maineman, I will be on the look out for those books. I am itchy to come to Maine and start planning my new garden. I think I will have to pacify myself with just containers this summer, so that I can assess sun, soil, temperatures, etc., It is 80+ degrees today in Philadelphia and everything is blooming. etc. This is going to be a whole new ballgame for me in Maine - with a shorter growing season and worrying about the winters. Friends of ours have kindly offered a row in their garden plot, so I will at least have some cutting flowers and veggies.
    Thanks again for all the helpful advice and I am sure I will be turning to this forum again and again for much needed advice.
    Tess

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH