Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eventfarm_gw

Quick Growing perennials

eventfarm
16 years ago

I'm looking for some local advice. I live in Texas, but will be summering up in Maine. I've historically put in some annuals for color, but this year I'm looking for some perennials that can be planted and create the bulk of the garden.

I will be going up June 6th and would like to have a decent looking garden by July 20th. I have full sun to full shade and everything in between. The garden will get great care in June, july and a few weeks in august. then nothing.

Now the restrictions:

It can't be expensive. The plants are puchased for me (I'm employed there) and they usually buy me about 10 flats of annuals and a few hanging baskets. It looks pretty sparse. I'm willing to plant things now that won't come up til next year. (are there bulbs that I can order online, plant now, and see some result?)

Need to be kid friendly (no thorns, etc).

Can't get too big. The area is on a slight hill and we need to see the top of the hill.

Grows in somewhat poor soil - the area has been mulched every year with no ammendments. I might be able to get some dried molassas and bone meal and other natural ammendments, but I'm not sure yet.

I like plants with interesting foliage, so flowering is not the most important feature, though it would be nice.

Herbs may be a good thing....

Any ideas?

Hostas? Mint?(self propogation is a good thing)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA