Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainerose

Shhhh-has anyone seen JBs yet?

mainerose
15 years ago

I'm afraid that even thinking about the nasty things will send them winging my way [BG]. Is it possible that this past winter has had an effect on the Japanese Beetle grubs? (Hope, hope) I just ordered a new repellent spry with cedar oil---has anyone tried it or had any success with other organic methods?

Comments (22)

• maineman
    15 years ago

MaineRose,

I have also been watching out for Japanese Beetles. So far I haven't seen any yet. Blister Bugs are a bit of an annoyance, though. I have a special pair of forceps that I use to grab blister bugs without being affected by their chemical irritant.

Let us know if the cedar oil spray actually works to repel JBs. Cedar has a strong smell. So far I have just relied on hand-picking Japanese Beetles, although that can get to be a bit tedious. During the peak of their season I can hand pick as many as two dozen per day and some damage gets done inevitably anyway.

Apparently JBs really like my zinnias. I hope I remember to spare the JBs that have the little white parasite eggs attached to them.

MM

• robin_maine
    15 years ago

The first one showed up here four days ago. I'm in the northeast.

• mainerose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Robin---whereabouts in Maine are you? I live in Farmington. Maineman---I think I'm going to hire my 6 year old grandson to handpick for me this year. I think at a penny a beetle he should be able to earn big bucks for his college fund :)

• robin_maine
    15 years ago

I'm in Talmadge (population 64, 30 miles north of Calais). My biggest problem this year is striped cucumber beetles and cutworms. When your grandson is done with your JB's he can come get my beetles and cutworms. Between us I bet we can fund grad school!

• cosmolover
    15 years ago

Unfortunately, I saw some last week. I am here in Ellsworth, just above Bar Harbor.

• marc_maine
    15 years ago

I'm in Lisbon Falls, and haven't seen any JB's yet....yet. I have, however, been inundated with Rose Chafers. They are everywhere. They don't seem to bother the tomatoes or peppers, but nearly everything else, plum tree, apple tree, Brussel Sprouts, broccoli, they are even taking bites of the radish tops.

So far this year, I've had Tourtise Beetles on the tomatoes, a first. And I have Cucumber Beetles, also a first. The Colorado Potato Beetles are back, but few in number. "Fool's Gold Beetles" are eating holes in the Morning Glory's. It's just been one bug issue after another. Fortunately, all have been at manageable levels....so far.

I suspect the early snow-cover, and lack of frost in the ground protected many of the critters. I had a terrible grub issue this spring, worse than ever. That also appears to have been resolved. We'll see I guess.

Marc

• adirondackgardener
    15 years ago

Neighbor up the road in West Paris has them all over her rose bushes. Haven't seen one yet in my own veggie garden.

Wayne

• diene
    15 years ago

I am surprised that you are still bothered by JB's. Has no one ever heard of milky spores? They have eliminated my JB problem. They are expensive but for twenty years of freedom from ugly bags and bugs, I will pay the price. diene

• maineman
    15 years ago

Diene,

Milky Spore has been reported to have "spotty results" in the New England area, although it has "has been effective in some coastal locations".

Unfortunately, however, "Milky Spore, which is often sold as a remedy for grubs, is not effective in MaineÂs colder climate."

Since we aren't in a coastal location, I think I won't spend money on Milky Spore.

MM

• mscratch
    15 years ago

not in my yard yet but that's subject to change anyday, as I have every other pest here.

• veilchen
    15 years ago

I am in a a coastal area and would not spend the money again.

Saw my first two JBs yesterday, killed them both. They will probably come out in full force soon as this rainy weather leaves and we have some hot sunny days.

• maineman
    15 years ago

I've seen and killed a few JBs in the last three days. None of them had the white parasite eggs attached. One was a female attempting to dig a hole in the soil, probably to lay eggs. That's a bit bizarre that a pregnant female showed up so early.

• mehearty
    15 years ago

They hit my area June 22nd. 2 weeks early.

• maineman
    15 years ago

I spared my first Japanese Beetle with a parasite egg on its thorax yesterday.

• flowersnhens
    15 years ago

I have not had any JBs here in Minot yet. I am hoping I do not. I have not had any trouble with anything except for a few striped cucumber beatles, and tortoise beetles on my potato plants,but they are minimal and have not hurt or slowed the growth of the potatos. The plants are about 4 feet tall at this point. Lots of good growth this year due to using all composted cow manure and chicken shavings from the coop,,as well as all the rain too of course.

• maineman
    15 years ago

I have been killing them by the dozens for the last three days. The battle is joined.

• mehearty
    15 years ago

Been getting about 500/day, but that's actually low for this time of year.

• maineman
    15 years ago

The number of white parasite eggs has been increasing and the number of JBs has been decreasing to maybe 20 a day. However I am now releasing about half of my catch because they have one, two, and occasionally three eggs.

• cosmolover
    15 years ago

Was at my mothers on Saturday. We are here in Downeast Maine. She must have had 50 to 60 JB's devouring her Evening Primrose. She does not see as well anymore and thought they were bees flying around. Only one that one plant though. I have never seen anything like it in my life. Awful!!

• maineman
    15 years ago

An encouraging number of our JBs have one or more of the parasite eggs now. Maybe sparing the ones with eggs is starting to pay off.

MM

• mehearty
    15 years ago

Just updating while thinking of summer. 2008 was the longest JB season ever for us. They were not the gastly waves (thousands bursting out of the lawns daily) as in the past, but for goodness sake, they hung around forever! we were still picking beetles in October. I figure our biggest problem was that we were not around the first week of July to fight them off, so they laid their vile scent on everything. It was a horrific battle for the rest of the summer. We will never go away at that time again.

• megmaine
    15 years ago

We used milky spore, and although someone here said it doesn't work in our climate, Paul Parent recommends it, and I tried it, and it works for me in Waterville.
    Doesn't keep ones from flying by and sampling, but it does keep them from snowballing into a huge problem. They went after my green beans one year and this last year was no biggie.
    One thing I have heard, is never set out pheromone traps for them because you'll lead every JB in miles to your garden where not all of them get trapped, and then they breed.
    Wish I had a chicken or five to hunt them down.