Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbh_me

Best place to buy seedlings

bbh_me
15 years ago

Hi - I'm hoping to get some input on the best (and hopefully, the cheapest) places to get seedlings. I'm willing to go anywhere between Freeport, Rockland and Augusta. I put in a big order with Green Mountain Transplants back in March to be delivered 4 weeks ago and it still hasn't been shipped, so I'm ready to surrender to a regular nursery. Any suggestions greatly welcomed; this is my first time putting in a serious vegetable garden so I don't know where to start. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• mainerose
    15 years ago

My very favorite place is Longfellows in Manchester, just west of Augusta. The place is huge and they have a wonderful selection of flowers, veggies, shrubs, and just about anything else you could need in the way of gardening. I have always had great success with their plants, both perennials and annuals. They are VERY busy on weekends so be prepared to spend some time. Be sure and ask about their Loyalty Club---no-hassle returns, etc. Too bad about Green Mountain---I gave up on them several years ago when my order arrived late and half-dead.

Here is a link that might be useful: Longfellows

• mainerose
    15 years ago

Ooops- shouldn't post before my 2nd cup of coffee. Longfellows is not the cheapest place, but their plants grow beautifully. Example: I put in a dozen alyssum from Wal-Mart---they have hardly grown at all. The ones I got from Longfellows have almost doubled in size in a little over a week. same soil, water , and plant food---worth the extra price.

• mainerose
    15 years ago

Ooops- shouldn't post before my 2nd cup of coffee. Longfellows is not the cheapest place, but their plants grow beautifully. Example: I put in a dozen alyssum from Wal-Mart---they have hardly grown at all. The ones I got from Longfellows have almost doubled in size in a little over a week. same soil, water , and plant food---worth the extra price.

• bbh_me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Rose - I love Longfellows and did get a few things there last week while I was waiting to hear from Green Mountain. It is a bit expensive, but that may be where I end up getting the rest of my stuff, anyway.

• maineman
    15 years ago

Mainerose,

I just dumped the remains of my first cup of coffee awhile ago after several unsuccessful attempts at finishing it. It seems that I get interrupted a lot and drinking a cup of coffee can take all morning. It wasn't tasting very good anyway, after several trips back to the microwave to reheat it. Time to make a fresh cup.

Longfellows in Manchester is also one of my favorite places. Although I don't buy many seedlings there, I do purchase seed-starting supplies from them. Earlier this Spring I got a couple of heating mats there. I prefer to start my own seedlings, because I have a better selection of varieties that way. And I rather enjoy it.

They (Longfellows) just sent me a 20% discount coupon on any one item and I intend to use it on a bag of Premier Pro Mix, because my current bag is getting pretty low.

I am still starting some seeds inside because a hobby of mine is breeding zinnias and I like to start my fancy hand-pollinated hybrid seeds indoors rather than outside in-ground where they might be exposed to various hazards, like cutworms. I will also be planting a lot of commercial seed-packet zinnia seeds in-ground. Apparently I will have to deal with a bunch of mosquitoes while doing that. And maybe black flies. Oh well.

MM

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting