Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need rose recommendations for zone 5a

Posted by bourret z5 Maine (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 11:07

Hello everyone,

I need some recommendations for climbing roses in zone 5a. Can anyone help me?

Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need rose recommendations for zone 5a

I have New Dawn which survives in my very cold Zone 4, although it never gets very large. However, I saw one last week at the Coastal Maine Botanic Gardens that was 10-12 feet tall. Look for some of the older climbers---they seem to stand up to Maine winters fairly well. Dorothy Perkins is another popular one, although she is more a rambler than a climber.

o

You should visit the rose lady at the Portland farmer market. She knows everything about roses. I have had success with William Baffin here and in Zone 4, so you should be all set in 5a.

o

If you are anywhere near Phippsburg (south of Bath)check out North Creek. There is a website.

I have to go out & do some watering before dark but will be back later.

o

Sorry, I had written to you on the roses forum. Don't read the Maine forum very often as not much is written here, but it was too hot to go out & I had already checked my favorite forums.

o

William Baffin is about the only climber that comes back every year for me.I have tried many and this has been the best cold hardy one I have found.Any other has died after a cold winter. John cabot does also come back. But does not get as big as William baffin

o

Gardencats,

William Baffin sounds perfect for my arbor! Thank you for suggesting it.

Lisa Bourret
West Newfield, Maine
Zone 5a

o

Here's the website for North Creek Farm. Suzy Verrier is an expert on old roses that will grow in Maine, but as I recall also has some of the newer roses as well. I know that North Creek isn't close to you, but she does mail order. If you visit the website, the plants are listed under "Gardening Shed" which seemed an odd place to put them. Her roses are all unfussy types.

Here is a link that might be useful: North Creek Farm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here