Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DA@&*@ Shield BUGS!!! Please Help??

Posted by sweetfolly Z 5 ME (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 22:53

Help!!!! I'm about to be inundated with those damn shield bugs again. You know the ones that I mean? Those little black and red bugs that you see all over everything, and that smell to high heaven when you squish them?? I really have an issue with these things, I've seen them decimate a huge bed of snaps, and they're eating every Columbine I have right now!! I've tried hand picking them ( which I'm really good at, even heading off an invasion of red lily beetles ) but they are relentless. Do any of you know of an organic or inorganic spray or something that I can use? I've had it with these things!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DA@&*@ Shield BUGS!!! Please Help??

Sweetfolly,

Firstly, you have my sympathy. A Google search of the phrase "pesticide shield bug" revealed several articles that may be of help or interest to you. One mentioned a pheromone type cone trap that might be worth trying, but for the most part, hand-picking seems to be the best alternative as these armorlike bugs tend to be resilient to pesticides. At least, this is what I garnered from my browsing.

I'm glad to hear that you are heading off the fast red lily eaters. I've been diligent about keeping an eye on the lilies, and picking/squishing the adults as I find them. So far, so good. Really, these bugs seem like too easy prey for me; I kind of feel badly for them because they're such easy targets.

Oh, and MM and Veilchen, if you read this, I really appreciated your discussion of lined beetles in the other forum. It got me thinking about the bugs in the vegetable garden I've been helping tend, which as of now, to tempt the fates, are few. Just a few potato bugs (soon to be a few dozen, I'm sure), and the flea beetles have not decimated any of the young plants (yet). Anyhow, I got to reading around about potato bugs, and rediscovered a site I found useful, and enjoyed, last season: whatsthatbug.com

Sweetfolly, I hope someone suggests a means of making your stink bugs reconsider your garden as their abode.

Maureen

o
RE: DA@&*@ Shield BUGS!!! Please Help??

Sweetfolly,

"I'm about to be inundated with those damn shield bugs again. You know the ones that I mean? Those little black and red bugs that you see all over everything, and that smell to high heaven when you squish them??"

I've seen several light green stink bugs (shield bugs) this year, but only one red and black true bug, and I don't think it was mature. It looked like a nymph. I don't know what I will do if they become a problem.

MM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here