Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengardengardenga

Roll Call ...all Maineiacs please report in!

I was curious to see who all the mainers were out there. I am a grower year round and enjoy all faucets of gardening.

New to trying self sustaining methods and avoiding commercial products in my garden.

Glad to finally have our own forum!!!thanks again, Spike!

I grow and work in many different gardens for recreation and for my livlihood.

Living on MDI with the tempered effects of the water surrounding the island gives MDI different gardening zones than inland Maine. A little cooler in the summer and a bit warmere in the winter.

I homeschool 2 of our 7 kids and help take care of goats, chickens, ducks, pigs, cats, and a dog.

I am very interested in trading collected seed and heirloom plants/seeds.

Hope everyone out there is having a good summer!

Cheers-GGx2

Comments (101)

• linnea
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Howdie from Peaks Island. I have a new baby so my garden is mostly crabgrass this year! One interesting item - I had tons of lavender, and all of the purple lavender was killed this winter (Lady, Munstead, etc.), but the pink lavender survived. I never would have thought that the pink lavender was the more hardy!

• westbeck35
    19 years ago

Hi. Thanks for this site. I'm Betty. I live in the bottom of a valley is the Dixmont mountains. They call us ridge runners. I have 25 acres of bog that I love. I raise veggies in raised bed and hoop covers. Good to hear from all of you.

• CindyC
    19 years ago

Hi all, Cindy from Hebron here! I am so happy about this new site. We lost a lot this winter also, terrible winter - double whamy for us snowmobilers :) Mostly lost things in a new garden and one exposed boarder. Also run a perennial nursery and don't even want to talk about all the containers of perennials lost! It was terrible! This summer has been kind of a wash with all the rain... the weather has to go back to normal sometime, doesn't it (lol)???

Look forward to talking to you all!

• justjude
    19 years ago

Like Pete, I wish I could be an honorary member, too. I live in PA (zone 6) but we spend two weeks every summer at Pemaquid Point in a wonderful old shingled cottage right on the ocean.

One of my favorite things about our vacation is driving around and seeing all the terrific gardens. Thank you, all of you!! I get inspired with ideas about what to do here at home (a pretty pink phlox, a nice groundcover in front of a stone wall, intermingling creeping bellflower among my day lilies under the black walnut tree where nothing else will grow...).

I went to summer camp near Fryeburg (on Lake Kezar) and would live on the Maine coast in a heartbeat if I could. Hopefully next year's vacation will be 3 weeks rather than two, and I'll be back peeking into your yards. Favorite areas are: Wiscasset, Damariscotta, New Harbor, Round Pond, Bristol and S. Bristol. Visited on Westport Island this summer, too.

In addition to gardens, you guys have some wicked good ice cream!

Judy

• ohanakat
    19 years ago

Kat from southern Maine, checking in! DH and I returned home to Maine last year after 20 years away, 5 in Virginia and 15 in Hawaii. I'm delighted to find a Maine garden forum as I get used to cold weather gardening again! We decided to just let everything grow this year to see what we had where. My dad was an avid gardener, pretty much chemical free for the past ten years or so, mostly veggies and fruit, but also a lot of the "old fashioned" favorites, wild roses, hydrangea, iris and peonies. We've planned out three perennial beds and a rock garden for this fall. The veggie garden has to wait for major rennovations next summer, so we're composting in it, covered the rest in clover. Our biggest challenges are a woodchuck family and squirrels getting at the bulbs. The wildflowers we've allowed to grow up are attracting lots of bees, and every time I dig I find lots of worms. It's really nice to "inherit" gardens for the first time, rather than start from scratch (on builder fill!).

• Flyline
    19 years ago

Hi - Pam here, another "Dur-mite" (Durham) checking in (hi Becky!). I'm originally from Gorham (hi Judy in Monson!) I knew everyone had been lobbying for the Maine Gardening site for some time, but hadn't logged on for a while and was happily surprised to see it listed now. Cool! I just came back from one of the first walks I've taken this summer down the snowmobile trail out back (hi Cindy in Hebron) - we can relate to the bad snowmobile season last winter, too! We never even took the machines out this winter, and wow is the trail overgrown now - branches, bushes, etc. all across the trail. Will have to ask the husband to get down there with the weed-wacker.

Seems as though everyone lost their Butterfly Bushes this year! I waited until mid-July before I finally admitted it was dead and dug it out. Planted Bee Balm in its place, but I miss it - it was really pretty.

One thing I noticed on the walk down the trail was all the dead junipers, tons of them. I think it's been so wet and cool that they rotted. It's been kind of a tough summer to be a (flower) gardener - I lost a lot of my roses over the winter, and the ones that did survive have not been vigorous - less blooms than usual, less height and fullness.

I've been noticing my Bachelors Button bush is looking like it's dying - leaves are all crispy and brown on the edges. Does anyone have this plant? I don't remember it looking like this last year... But maybe it's normal as fall approaches to have it change? It had a ton of blooms earlier this summer. The Marshmallow plant is also struggling - leaves are yellow, and very few flowers. I can't help but think all the damp and cool is affecting them.

Can somebody tell me if they've had success with Witch Hazel? I planted a nice tall plant this spring, but have seen no new leaves all summer, and the ones it does have are chewed up by bugs. I'm thinking it doesn't look healthy enough to survive the winter. Didn't know how hardy they were, anyway, as I've never known anyone to have one.

It's nice to have a place to visit with other Maine gardeners!

• Janet
    19 years ago

Hi, I'm relatively new here - came over from the Home forums. My DH and I might be the farthest north so far - Patten.

We've just finished a huge update and remodelling project on an 1840's farmhouse on 210 acres, and our gardening is still in it's early stages. We did inherit the biggest, and most prolific asparagus patch i've ever seen, and some nice blueberry bushes. We've put in a small orchard, and have just finished the foundation for a greenhouse, which we will get up this fall.

We have three gorgeous gordon setters, and provide habitat and stock pheasants into the wild. Our last winter success rate wasn't too good, but we'll keep trying.

Nice to meet you all - we Mainers need this forum, with the challenges of our short growing season.

• Flyline
    19 years ago

Pheasant Farmer, we love Patten! Just drove through on our way to an Allagash river trip two weeks ago. Beautiful area. It's where my brother-in-law is from.

And we just recently lost our Gordon. I say recently, it's been 3 years. My husband grieved so long for Maggie that I thought he'd never get another dog (our kids have their own cocker spaniel). But a family nearby was looking for a good home for their 1-yr-old chocolate lab (too much of a handful for them), so we now have "Bailey". He'll never be another Maggie, but he's growing on us.

Old farmhouse on acreage in northern Maine with Gordon Setters - sounds to me as though you're living in paradise!

• Janet
    19 years ago

Flyline - so glad you like Patten - it's a gorgeous place with so much open land, and great people. We love it here, and the dogs do as well. We also have a house on Deer Isle, midcoast, and it's gorgeous there, but this land just really suits us.

Sorry to hear you lost your beloved Maggie. But nice that you took in the rambunctious Bailey ! Labs are great dogs too.

Nice to meet you all - I will be an avid reader as my gardening skills are of the rudimentary variety.

• bethee
    19 years ago

I am in Topsham, Maine. Anyone close by?

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    19 years ago

Hi all,

I'm in Richmond, I grow perennials and vegetables. We've had a busy summer but we are finally enjoying some of the fruits of our labors this week as the bugs are much reduced of late and we can enjoy the deck now that we've had some dry weather.

I am hooked on the Garden Web, and regularly read this forum and the hypertufa forum. I have some garden pics that can be seen on yahoo.

I've helped to organized a plant swap at my job for the past 3 years, but am starting a new job soon, so am hoping to organize one there or through this forum.

Garden Web Rocks! Thanks Spike for this forum!

Ali aka Mabel

Here is a link that might be useful: Mabel's garden photos on yahoo

• gardengardengardenga
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Mabel...nice pixs, thank you I really enjoy the trellis built around the windows...great job!

• steamheater
    19 years ago

I consider myself a Maineiac, even though I come from Iowa [via California]! Wouldn't want to rest my soul anywhere other than this great State of Maine! We have just moved onto 4 acres in Boothbay and am in the process of clearing and planting 1 of those acres. Going to replace both hips within the next year and raised beds are going to be a necessity! Does anyone raise asparagus in raised beds? I love my asparagus as much as I love my chard! Happy gardening!
    Steamheater

• Scarbo
    19 years ago

I'm in Scarborough, Maine.
    I grow many daylilies, irises, lilacs, hosta, hardy geraniums, wildflowers, coral bells and other perennials. I grow most of my daylilies in raised beds as my soil is very sandy.
    The worst pests I had this year were snails and lily beetles. And mosquitoes...which keep me out of the garden on hot days. My previous worst pest was Japanese beetles. They used to thickly cover the trees. Maybe they didn't like this year's wet conditions because the infestations were light this year.

I have 1 butterfly bush of 5 left...I purchased it about 6 years ago from Winterthur Gardens. The other 4 were locally purchased...go figure!

I lost a lot of nice perennials in the freeze/thaw cycle in April. I didn't lose any daylilies this year (although I lost some in past years including Pirate's Patch and Blue Moon Rising). I bought daylilies again this year since they handled the weather so well.

Non-annuals in bloom in my garden today: butterfly bush, coreopsis, sedum, patrinia, echinacea, monkshood, aster, phlox, johnny jump-ups, 2 daylilies (Irrisistible Impulse and a huge tall ruffled gold daylily), geranium sanguineum and geranium striatum, Royal Standard Hosta). I also a branch of a red weigela and a branch of a purple little-leaf rhododendron.

• veilchen
    19 years ago

Welcome, Scarbo! I live in Saco. Aren't daylilies a blessing? (When all else fails. . .) Would love to meet someday, possibly trade daylilies.

• gardengardengardenga
    Original Author
    19 years ago

greetings and welcome all new and ole fellow mainiac gardeners!

• mainesfwriter
    19 years ago

Nina (pronounced "9-UH") from Sidney (Maine, not Australia, although my mail often comes to "Sydney") here. I've been gardening since I was a kid growing up in Gardiner, when I used to dig myself a nasturtium bed every spring.

I inherited some very nice professional landscaping when I bought this house just over a year ago. Now I'm happily messing it up by planting my beloved miniatures roses anywhere and everywhere. The Miniature Rose Forum is where I usually hang out; I just found this one today.

My other passion is daffodils. So I really love this time of year - choosing and planting is at least as much fun as blooming season!

This Roll Call thread is a great idea. What an interesting group.

• gardengardengardenga
    Original Author
    19 years ago

From Cape Elizabeth and far away and clear from the upper socio-economic gardens comes Mainiac . Mainiac is seen here carrying lots of lilies and daylilies, hosta, heuchera and a spattering of other stuff, all which she grew herself, and all that you can see of her is her two muddy boots covered in compost of last years dead lilies and butterfly bush and
    plants of various sorts . Behind her trailing are her new pet woodchucks and a family of foxes. The Red lily beetle rides in with the flowers she carries much like Jimmy the Cricket.
    As Mainiac turns around at the end of the runway she tosses out personal invites with the following written on them, " I love to have people check out my gardens!
    Ramona" The crowd of Maineiacs cheer wildly .the clapping settles down only asÂ

Chleone walks on to the run way. When asked where she is from she replies, "Banana belt" ... southern Maine, "Yohk"!
    Chleone instantly bonds and relates with Mainiac... chuckling about the "rich part",
    And carrying all her dead plants mourning from last year MaineÂs winter. Throwing them into the compost bin Chleone is optimistic and ready to get right back on track in the gardenÂshe runs off the ramp straight to the garden with trowel held high.
    The next gardener to enter the forum walkway is the Silver QueenÂthere is total silence in the crowd, eye brows raise, and smiles are found on everyoneÂs faces when the SilverQueen shows large fold out pictures of field perennials she has grown and great promise of a happy and fun perennial swap among us!

The Dollmaker, has jumped onto the stage and onto the walkway. Visions of the Asticou gardens seem to resonate in dreamy figures around her head. In her bucket are her mournful plants lost for last winter, which is overflowing. But headed straight to the compost bin as well. Holding her coffee cup up high she toast us all as gardeners , the crowd cheers and applauds wildly. As the Dollmaker turn to walk off the stage her hydrangeas are thrown out to the crowd in pride (healthy and gorgeous) despite the tough winterÂs call!

Maine's First Town brings us another fabulous gardener who seems to have better luck with winterÂs affects than the rest of us. Chicken Lady braves the zone 3-4 ! The crowd takes a deep breath of gasp and shivers are spontaneously felt just thinking about how cold that must be! Chicken Lady is not afraid of such zones and steps and turns off the runway as she leaves frost from her shoes on the stage

Coming onto the frost steps with more chilly feet from zone 4 is Bourret from West Newfield, ( everyone looks at each other trying to figure out where West Newfield is?! Bourret carries under her arm veggies and daylilies. In the other hand she carries her largest frog from her own natural pond. The pond gardeners scream, YES!!!

Having fun and being friendly the Dollmaker and Chicken lady make a mad dash across the stage as the audience encourages them on with interest!

Next to make his entrance, from Lisbon Falls, is a real professional gardener and grower, the crowds really enjoy the expertise and willingness that Mcgper1 shows enthusiasm Armfuls of plants and seeds which he hopes to swap out with the crowdÂthe crowd stamp the feet with joy in anticipation, whistling and cheering such actions! Mcgper1 holds out some pots of plants teasingly waving in front of a envious crowd, screaming with delight. Mcgper! Almost loses his balance getting off the walkway.

Leenie Me comes onto the scene as an indigenous Maniac, who has found retreat from our tough winters in Florida ( the crowd boos gently, but with smiles) With bucket full of many varieties of geraniums, which the audience would like to see better, the bucket is passed among the crowd . Chasing some red beetles trying to rid them, Leenie Me exit the stage. The crowd is too busy checking out all the different varieties of geraniums to notice that A transplant flatlander has taken the stage with shovel in hand and a trash can full of dead plants from last year and the pests and diseases which is unique in Maine have perplexed this gardener, however with stamina and great interest of vast perennials and woodland plants, vegetable beds, and fruit trees everyone is in agreement that this gardener is welcomed by all.

Next is cyber trek, a zone 5 gardener from Windham, the audience applauds wildly and cheers respectfullyÂlooking forward to hearing from this resourceful gardener among us. Cyber trek waste no time in getting off the stage and back to his gardeningÂ

Another indigenous type from Maine hitÂs the stage, LisaColburn. Out of the Zones of 3, steps with snow still on the sides of the snow shoes comes a very active gardener who is wheeling in tons of manure, stopping only to catch their breath and visit with the crowds is another honorable organic gardenerÂ.I'll say it again.....Yee Haa !! And the crowd loves an organic Gardner! Snow is seen trailing off the stage as

Eden in Maine struts out onto the walkway as the ebayer of ebayers when it comes to finding new plants, but welcomes the other maniacs of the forum to visit if in the area of GardinerÂthe vibrations of the feet stomping the floors is felt to almost knock one off their balance to walk as the crowd cheers and welcomes Eden of Maine .

And what is this the Chicken Lady makes another fast dash out on to the stage and again the crowds welcome and cheer her on!

Veilchen from Saco is now on board , her wheel barrel is full of last years gone to the winter plants, looking almost defeated and discouraged by winter kill and garden pests, there perks out of nowhere a strong spirit of determination, determination to garden and garden well. Oh, we all hold hands and share the spirit veilchen displays ( as we have all been there). VeilchenÂs determination and enthusiasm to garden is cheered and welcomed with great applauding!!!

From central ME , Monmouth area is Muzzy, with muddy boots frozen in leach fields this gardener is challenged and concerned with MaineÂs climate. Empathetic watchers smiled and clap strongly and loud as we donÂt want to lose any of gardeners to Maines tough winters. With encouragement Muzzy throws himself off his tractor and in with the other gardeners, holding him up in the air above their heads the crowds pass Muzzy around the forums. Muzzy is now optimistic and happy! Running off the stage barefooted as his boots are still frozen in the leach fields.

Pennsylvania Pete is sticking his head out throw the curtains, wondering although he has physically left Maine might he come out and spend some time reminiscing his earlier childhood memories of living in Maine and who is that also from Pennsylvania ? Why its JustJudeÂ.the gardening audience is willing to accept any gardener to Join in, except the one crowd of organic gardeners in the front row (screaming compost is best compost is best over and over )who are not sure if such invites from foreign states are wise, but will watch over and mind the invasion of outsiders to the forum. The other gardeners roll their eyes at the fanatical organic crowd, applauding and cheering for Pennsylvania Pete and Justjude to hang out with them.
    They jump out from the curtain just as
    Hatetomow from Monson, (just south of Moosehead lake )comes onto the platform. Hatetomow has been hanging around these forums for about sixteen years, originally from southern Maine in Gorham. Kicking her lawn mower across the stage while trying to carry armfuls of daylilies which she nurtures well. The smell of manure from rabbits, sheep and chickens brings the crowd to their feet as they give this gardener a standing ovation for practicing organically .

Veggie Lover from Somerville runs very quickly across the forum stage and everyone claps and welcomes this fellow garden .
    Just received notice of the existence of this forum. How very exciting. I live in Southern Maine (Hollis) and have a few good friends I have made through this site. Always willing to meet new people. I will try and check this site regularly to see what is going on but feel free to e-mail me directly. Happy gardening. Kathleen

Diene has won the gardeners award for being the most friendliest gardener on the new Mainiac Forum here. Coming on stage her warm smiles and gracious gestures brings warmth into the room.
    Luvmyducks from Durham waddles into the walkway looking for beetles and bewildered that she could loose so many perennial in the 2004. to Maines winter . The people watching hold their breath, and pray that Luvmyducks makes out better in 2005! This web-footed garden lover paddles of the stage right back into the perennials determined to make a splash next season!

Flooding the scene comes rushing in holding hands and running with joy screaming for more compost and sunshine is gardeners ,
    Macropora from Stockton Springs, Kathy in Maine from Central Maine, From ,No. Yarmouth is Elaine Maine, Robin Maine from Talmadge, Leonessa from Berwick, Grammie ME from Southport, kap1 from Kennebunk, Maineman from Manchester, Maine rose from Farmington, Cindyob from Auburn, Leasa from Eastport, nleclair from Oxford, MaineflowerGirl in zone 4 who uses zone 5 plants J, Mickey from Westport Island , Msmmsm from Ogunquit, MikefromMaine (Bucksport),Nicestuff from West Rockport, Tikanmeeko from Gardiner, peggy 1943 from N.H. border.(near Fryeburg), Ellenott from Bath, Linnea from Peaks Island, Westbeck35 of Dixmont mountains "ridge runners",CindyC from Hebron, Ohanakat from southern Maine, Flyline from Durham, Pheasantfarmer from Patten, Bethee of Topsham, Mabeldingeldine in Richmond, Transplant called Steamheater from Boothbay,ScarboroughÂs Scarbo, then running after this huge group of Maine gardeners is Mainesfwriter from Sidney who is happy to be apart of such a great group!

Cheers and refreshments are on the house, serving tea and popovers! All partake and enjoy a great gathering! Happy first day of Fall everyone.

Oh, and the court crown goes to the one Who got the most ripened tomatoes on the vine outside of a greenhouse this year, tie goes to the one who sown their own tomatoes, double tie breaker goes to the one who used only organic methods?

Thanks everyone for allowing me to poke fun and get to know everyone here better

• veilchen
    19 years ago

That was cute, gardengarden!

• hatetomow
    19 years ago

And to think some people tried to tell us that a Maine forum would be inactive and boring!!

• The_Dollmaker
    19 years ago

Oh that's hilarious! Unrealistic because I would probably trip, pitch myself headfirst off the runway, scattering my bucket of compost which has gone a bit anaerobic since I let wildflowers grow too close to it and now can't get near enough to turn it because of the bees... but I like your scenario much better!

• mainesfwriter
    19 years ago

"Running after the group" is exactly right. Thanks for the laugh. That is a hoot!

• goldie47
    19 years ago

Hi - Sara checking in from Limerick. I am ALSO originally from Gorham. I live with my husband, two sons and three dogs on about 30 acres and love it! I mostly plant perennials, some annuals and I want to get some roses and peonies next year.

I am glad to have this local forum!

• gardengardengardenga
    Original Author
    19 years ago

welcome Sara!

• SilverQueen
    19 years ago

I have stagefright.

Silver Queen

• Mainiac
    19 years ago

Okay fellow Mainers! You might think I have it easy down here in Cape but do you know how dreadful it is to live in the Cape slums! The picture isn't quite complete unless you visualize me with holes in the toes of those muddy boots and knowing that this winter I will be chilled to the bone cuz I spent all my money on plants and won't have enough $$ for oil! Then there are the deer! Cape is a NO-Hunting zone so they are everywhere. They are cute until they eat the buds of the lilies and follow it with a hosta salad for a chaser! And don't forget the coyotes we have running around eating our cats.

But all in all, Maine is the best place to live! Don't you agree!

• samuraisix
    19 years ago

As a transplanted Maineiac, I agree that Maine is the best place to live and that September / early October the best time to be here. I've been checking into the forums for years, long before I had a garden. Now three years in the Lakes Region - Harrison - I'm slowly learning, experimenting, and figuring out what will happily cohabitate w/woods, sandy soil, loads of chipmunks, squirrels, birds and 1 wacky dog. I swear I've got 30+ micro zones around my house. So far my most succesful plants are astilbe, heuchera, garlic chives, sanvitalia and my triumph (to Me) - 7 different morning glories from seed. They blanket one wall and the display changes daily. I just registered and was thrilled to find this new forum.

• gardengardengardenga
    Original Author
    19 years ago

welcome samuraisix...
    I suspect Silver Queen has alot to share...:)
    Mainiac, we are suppose to get a good frost tomorrow night ( the entire state of Maine!) Please stay warm, keep the ageratum covered and perhaps all the fiberous begonias and the pellies...oh dear...winter is coming!

• samuraisix
    19 years ago

Thank you for the welcome gardengardengardenga.......

Came out this morning to find the potted dahlias, morning glories and fuschias frost limp. Glad I got the coleus in a few days ago and the begonias will come in now - their colors really brighten up the windows (none south - darn) in the winter.

I was looking for dahlia wintering help - first year - think I'm going to try the saran wrap method - anyone ever leave any in the ground?

Gorgeous and cold here.

• gardengardengardenga
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have never tried a plastic wrap...as a cover protection. COuld one use chicken wire and leaves as a heavy compost?

I have only had a few dahlias ever come back in zone 5. I think that being next to a leech feild kept the ground a bit warmer.

Sounds like a new thread to keep going and building on.

Cheers and good luck...

I went cranberry picking yesterday...the berries are the largest Ive ssen since the early 90's! Majority still very crunchy. Perfect!
    I ammaking juice, jelly, pies, and muffins today with cranberries!

• sue36
    19 years ago

Originally from Mass., moving to ELiot (DH and I are building a house). I am used to zone 6 gardening and will need to adjust to zone 5 with a fierce wind. I will be starting from scratch on my gardens. I want to concentrate on peonies, roses, lilies, hydrangeas and dahlias. Any advice on getting blue hydrangeas to bloom would be appreciated.

• gardengardengardenga
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Sue36, welcome over to the way life should be state!
    :)

• Cindy_T
    19 years ago

Cindy from Turner here. I just discovered this forum and am delighted!! DH and I have gardened since we were first married (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth!), starting with a vegetable garden and gradually growing more and more ornamentals. Now we grow a lot of perennials and an increasing number of vines. I find I am more interested in foliage all the time and, after a visit to Field Stone Gardens on Open Farm Day, I've decided that you really can't have too many hosta!

After last winter, I've taken a solemn vow not to complain, so matter how much snow we get this year!

• gardengardengardenga
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Cindy!

It feels good to share with fellow Mainers about gardening.

Has everyone gotten their garlic planted? I havent yet, but hope to by November 1....

Please dont freeze up before then oh state of Maine!

• HarvestFlo
    19 years ago

I live in Surry, ME and am finally starting to do some of my own gardening after working with farmers in the tropics for many years, starting as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Panama. I am writing today to ask for hoop house advice.

In lieu of spending $2,000+ to rent two tents for our wedding reception, my fiance and I are wondering if we could put together a couple of hoop houses that could serve the same purpose. We would need one that would be 30' X 45' that we would like to move to a different site later to use as a greenhouse. The other one would need to be 30' X 60' and we would like to take it apart after the wedding and reuse the material in the building of our house or sell it.

Could anyone offer any advice as to whether this is a realistic plan? If so, could you offer advice on the least expensive way to go about doing this while trying to use as eco-friendly materials as possible?

• roycebro
    19 years ago

Heather from Newport here!! I could have sworn I posted here before but I seem to be lost again....
    I am a regular on the swap forum. I usually trade a "Sunflower House Kit" for just about anything.
    I have a some nice raised beds and do a lot of container gardening due to not being a landowner...I get by.
    Roses are still my Achilles heel. I know some swear they can grown them here but they are annuals at my house! Gets to be an expensive habit but one that keeps me sane and legal!
    Cheers to a bountiful 2005!

• Ihatebugs
    19 years ago

Im from maine i want to host a plant swap for us mainers for 2005 let me know if you all would like a get together

• gardengardengardenga
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Greetings HarvestFlo, roycebro, and Ihatebugs!

I would love to attend a swap in Maine. Please let me know what you decide.

• woodsman
    19 years ago

Hello, Dan checking in fron Augusta. We have several vegetable gardens, one at my home in Augusta, and the other in Sidney. We planted 100 lbs of Kennebec and Red Pontiac potato seed this year in the plot in Sidney. It was unbelievable the amount of return we got.

We grow a multitude of vegatables and have several perrenial beds.

Did plant high bush bluberries this year. Be interesting to see how they will winter.

• gardengardengardenga
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Dan, I too, had a great year with my patatoes. I enjoy planting a diversity of them.

Good luck with your blueberies, so far no problem with our snow coverage!

• kimskreations
    19 years ago

Wow! Didn't even know there was a Maine Forum!
    I'm Kim from Kennebunk and have just recently started my flower beds.
    I love to crochet, grow houseplants and garden.
    I have recently started Kreating my own beaded plant hangers and enjoy that immensely also.
    Here is a link which shows some of my obsessions *lol*.

Can't wait to chat/trade with you all!
    Kim

• gardengardengardenga
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi and welcome Kim, I think your crochet is quite impressive.

• kimskreations
    19 years ago

Well thank you so very much Garden, I love to Kreate unique crochet items, it's therapy for me *lol*.

I am so thrilled to find all you Mainer's! Forgive me for saying this but I feel that Mainer's are the best as it gets *lol*. We are all neighbors here in Maine!

Kim

• Flowerhen
    19 years ago

I just found this forum a couple days ago. I have been on Gardenweb for 3 year now,,and never noticed it...=0
    Anyways, I am from Minot, I have a Greenhouse business where I sell Perennials, Annuals and Hanging Baskets.
    Cindy From Hebron, I also lost alot of perennials last year. Terrible, isn't it ?

Courtney

• bllmrtn
    19 years ago

Hi, Bill here just to say hello. I live in Auburn, and try to ad a little something every year. I have installed my own lawn irrigation system in the front yard, and am looking into doing the rear this spring. I have various flower beds, but wish I had more property. Anyway its a nice colorfull backyard. Hope to meet some of you someday. Take care, Bill

• lilyroseviolet
    19 years ago

welcome Bill, sounds like an undertaking to put in your own irrigation system.

Hey Courney, where have you been hanging out, I havent noticed your postings before. Anyways, it is good to get all the Maineiacs together.

• Flowerhen
    19 years ago

Lilroseviolet...I used to hang around quite often on the "greenhouse and garden structures forum"..and on the "Roses" forum, though I haven't been over there much lately. Thank you for saying hello !!!

• heroncove
    19 years ago

I know as a "summer person" that I am not considered a Maniac but I have to spend the work year here in Illinois with my husband as both our jobs are here. Our future retirement house in Maine has a winter tenant so we can afford to use it for a few weeks of bliss in the summer. I first visited Maine in 1964 and have not missed a summer since then. My heart swells with joy when we cross the Bath bridge, open the car windows and smell the first salty air.
    I garden with perennials in the beds and annuals in the window boxes and containers on the porch. I lost my Bonica rose and many perennials with that hard winter last year and still had Japanese beetles in my Rugosas. Sigh. We look out at Indiantown Island in West Boothbay Harbor so the bird activity is as much fun as the plant stuff. I dug a little pond a few years ago and that brings a lot of pleasure. The resident frog is big enough to croak so loudly we hear him indoors! Mary

• butterhill
    19 years ago

We are in Guilford (about 30 minutes by car south of Greenville and Moosehead Lake) and have many daylillies...about 100 different ones! We came to Maine in 1985 and have been here since...year-round. Figured that daylilies might just do well this far north, and they haven't let us down yet! Every year we get beautiful flowers, people coming from all over the local area to take photos of the display in the front...most never see what we have out back! We did learn that snow cover is essential....one year we had very heavy cold temperatures without snow cover, and that spring we found many rotted daylily plants (mostly the young plants that hadn't reached the ripe old age of 3). It looks as if this year will be a good one....lots of snow early, and even during our January thaw we got more snow before we got the cold temperatures. Gardeners in Maine have to be optimistic!

• ellenf2002
    13 years ago

Veazie here! Zone 3
    Love to garden...hypertufa and rock garden my fav's.
    ellen

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?