Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicken_lady

Twig arbors and fences

chicken_lady
19 years ago

Have any of you built a twig arbor or fences for you gardens? I'm pretty proud of the way mine have turned out so far. I built my first one about 4-5 years ago. I decided to add another one (bigger and better) and have started a twig fence that will eventually enclose the entire garden. Here are some pics.

Cathy

This was taken in late May, right after I finished the arbor.

This was taken in late June. I have a section of the fence well started. Both this and the previous pic are taken from inside the garden.

This shot is also from late June and is taken from outside the garden. You can really see the fence here.

Comments (15)

• ginny12
    19 years ago

What a great job! Charming!

• The_Dollmaker
    19 years ago

It's really beautiful, and I also like the little path you have made going through the arch. Would you like to share some tips, and what to expect in terms of time and expense?

• Flyline
    19 years ago

So pretty! I tried to do one around my vegetable garden one year, but didn't attempt an arbor! I assume you use green twigs and branches, and then tie them with what? Wish I had known how to build one this spring - I ended up installing a white picket fence around my flower garden instead. Had to do something to keep the dogs out!

• gardengardengardenga
    19 years ago

I applaud you on a great job! Very cool, I think that what you are doing is fabulous, thanks for sharing. Also very inspiring,too. Thanks again

• chicken_lady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks everyone! Well, it wasn't a quick process. I'm planning on putting the fence all the way around the garden, but I have to admit that I'm spleeny and if I don't get outside at the right time of the day, nothing gets done. The reason for this is because of the bugs, skeeters and no-see-ums to be exact! They just won't go away this year! Both drive me absolutly crazy! I hate to use bug repellent, but have to early summer when the blackflies are out too. But anyways, if I go out to early (usually before 8am) or to late (after 5pm these days) or even on extremly cloudy days...that's when they are the worst. Then if midday is to hot/humid...well you get the picture don't you? :-( The best time to do this kind of job is early spring/summer before the bugs start to hatch or Sept,Oct and early Nov after they have "frozen". Yes, I use green saplings, cut all branches off. I use metal fence posts to attach the saplings too and then wire them to the posts(I call it bailing wire, but I guess it's used on rebar?) and then I have this tool that "twirls" the wire. I'll take a pic of the supplies that I use tomorrow and post it.

Cathy

• chicken_lady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here is the pic of the tools/supplies that I use to make my arbors and fence. I always put the metal posts on the inside of the arbors and the inside of the fence. Just looks better on the arbor and plants will hide them on the fence.

The metal posts, I prefer the four foot ones. The only thing not pictured is wire cutters.

Cathy

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    19 years ago

:-( I can't see the photos, what happened? I'd love to see, as I've built a twig fence and several twig arbors and I love to get ideas from more advanced practitioners...

Mabel

• chicken_lady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well there...I figured that out! If you remove the pics from Photobucket then you can't see the pics anymore! I'gues I'd better put the arbor pics back on there too!

Mable, I'm not a pro, this is my third arbor (they get better each time I make one) and the first attempt at a fence. :-)

Cathy

• onlysyd
    16 years ago

Hi Cathy,
    The fence and arbors look great! I've been researching to make a fence next year around my veggie garden. This will be perfect. I'm going to use some sort of screening on the inside to keep the critters out and I will do the twigs on the outside. This is exactly what I was looking for.

• zengeos
    16 years ago

A little late to this discussion, but I have been looking into natural, more organic fences and structures like arches. I've actually been considering a fedge type of live fence/hedge. Sounds intriguing and I suspect would fit right into the type of branch structures you have made.

I like the variety and natural ambiance your garden has...very in tune with the surroundings.

MArk-

• florrie2
    16 years ago

Your fence looks so nice! I'm trying to build one to keep the dogs out of the planting beds. They are 150 lbs Great Pyrenees (think white Saint Bernard) and can knock down just about anything. They stand on the plants, barking, as if they weren't even there. Do you think this kind of fence is sturdy enough?

Florrie

• handful
    14 years ago

Wow - beautiful and creative! I also have dogs that have NO REGARD for our hard work in the gardens! (Just like a mutt, huh!) I was looking for an affordable, natural look to incorporate with my farm as well. Have seen a twig fence and arbor in Birds And Blooms mag or on betterhomesandgardens.com but can't find it again! Did you ever finish the fence? Would love to see it!

• chicken_lady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, this is what the arbor looked like a couple of weeks ago. After all, it is something like 5 yrs old. The arches on top had dried and snapped. It was closing in on itself. And the rest of it was just rotting and parts of it were breaking off and falling on the ground. Anyways, I decided that it was time to go. I tore it down and immediately started putting up a new one!

• chicken_lady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A follow up to Twig arbors and fences... So here is the new one, so far... As you can see, it is a different style. I've found that the arched ones, well after a year or two the arches dry and snap in two and you lose your whole look! Quite depressing after all the work I put into building it. So I have decided to make it all with "square" corners instead of curves. I also am using larger diameter saplings. My thought behind this is that it will last even longer before I have to replace it. I hope to get it finished this weekend, now that the rain has stopped for the moment and I also have some free time to work on it. My plan, right now, is to put a pointed "roof" on it. I'll post another picture when I finish it.

• moongrace
    13 years ago

What an interesting thread! I've been looking for ways to use up some of the trimmings and branches that need to be trimmed in my yard. I'd like to find some information on constructing a rustic swing to hang from a tree in the backyard. Adding rustic elements such as these brings a natural feel to the area. Love it!