Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
They have arrived....

Posted by anne_marie_alb 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 1, 10 at 6:15

much earlier than usual (everything is early this year). I'm talking about ... Japanese Beetles! Picked my first dozen Tuesday afternoon (June 29)! We are in Owls Head, just outside of Rockland.
Anne-Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: They have arrived....

I feel your pain :) I live in FArmington and they've been here for a couple of weeks. Guess the warm spring brought them out ahead of schedule. Has anyone tried Bayer Systemic? I'm going to try it on some of my roses this year.

o
RE: They have arrived....

I'd better knock on wood and say several blessings lest I jinx myself, but the numbers are way down this year. Because of all the rain and cold temps last summer, the little monsters weren't able to do their naughty little romancing (ha ha!). If none of my neighbors put up a bunch of beetle bags, we just might be OK.

That's not to say that the smaller numbers haven't destroyed my roses. They have. But as long as I don't get hit in the face with swarming beetles every time I step outside, I'm happy.

Good luck everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here