Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicken_lady

Longfellow's Greenhouses in Manchester

chicken_lady
18 years ago

Have any of you been there? I went for the first time last week. Fantastic place! Didn't get to see everything, but saw quite a bit! This late in the "summer" most GH's are selling off all the over grown six packs and such... They had their's on sale, reg $2.99 on sale for $1.59 and the best thing was that they were over grown at all! They were just like the ones you get in late spring...short, stout and just starting to bud...petunias, coleus, impatients, zinnias, etc.... Perennials for $5.99 and up....beautiful plants, helpful employees, fantastic display gardens....

I plan on going again sometime!

Next week I'm hoping to check out Moose Crossing Garden Center in Waldoboro. Anyone been there?

Cathy

Comments (5)

• maine_gardener
    18 years ago

I buy alot of my plants at Moose Crossing. They have the best prices(lowest) I have found at any garden center.and a large selection.
    I have been to Longfellows once. Didn't buy a thing just looked. I felt they where pricey. And they had their shade plants Hostas ect. in full sun.
    I'm heading to Fieldstones gardens next week end. They have such a fanatastic display of Hostas and there large! daylily beds should be in full bloom.

• maineman
    18 years ago

Cathy,

We live in Manchester and Longfellow's is only a few minutes drive for us. We were in there day before yesterday and purchased some strawberry plants, portulaca, petunias, coleus and impatiens. I purchased a long-necked hand hoe that I needed to weed and cultivate inside my big tomato cages. When they aren't having a sale, they are kind of pricey. But it's a classy place and we enjoy going there from time to time.

MM

• chicken_lady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gee, guess I hit the place at the right time! You know it seems like the prices at most place this year are quite pricey, don't you think? Even at places that I hit every year. Must have alot to do with the oil and gas prices? You know heating oil, gas to transport any starts/plants that they don't start on their own and all those plastic pots (petroleum by-products).
    Nice to hear about Moose Crossing, am looking forward to my visit. I'll either be going tomorrow or Wed. Fieldstone is another place I'd like to check out....maybe my next "day trip"? ooooh, just checked out my Gazetteer and Vasselboro isn't even as far to go as Manchester and Waldoboro is the farthest from me! hmmmm...if I leave early enough in the morning, maybe I could hit both places????? I'll have to give that some thought! :-)

Cathy

• mainerose
    18 years ago

I love Lonfellows, not only for their plants but for lots of gardening accesories that I have a hard time finding elsewhere. Their selection of plant supports, labels, etc. is wonderful--before I discovered them I used to order all these things on line and pay a fortune for shipping. Even though their prices are on the high side, I still save money by buying there. I've had good luck with their plants, too, and can find some varieties there that are hard to find elsewhere. I love their rosebud impatiens, and their cosmos and alyssum always take off like gangbusters! Their garden statuary, etc. in fun to look at, even though I can never afford it :)

• bllmrtn
    18 years ago

Not only is Longfellow's classy, but the employees there are very knowledgeable. Does not take long for them to get you an answer. Also, they have some of the most beautifull hanging baskets and arrangements I have ever seen! Great place. Enjoy, Bill

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH