Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmcclure_gw

Poor Tomatoe Crop

tmcclure
18 years ago

Hi Everyone

I am new to gardening. This is my second season. This year I added a variety of plum tomatoes to my list. I planted them in containers. Here it is the last day of July and I may get one tomatoes from every other plant. The plants have very few leaves and only a few flowers. Is this because of the rainy June we had?

Comments (6)

• aprilwhirlwind
    18 years ago

I planted tomatoes my first 2 years in my Maine garden. One year I had a warm summer and a bumper crop, the next year I had very little.
    I live in Kennebunk east of the turnpike, it's sometimes much cooler here than in Wells or even West Kennebunk. Sometimes by as much as 15 or 20 degrees! Tomatoes like heat. One year I had no tomatoes until September, and small ones at that. A friend just 15 minutes away had an overabundance of them.
    I used to great huge tomato crops in PA.

• robin_maine
    18 years ago

Do you have drainage holes in the containers? How's the soil?

• veilchen
    18 years ago

I have had no tomatoes yet. I have a cluster type that was growing in the greenhouse up until yesterday, and the tomatoes are just starting to turn from green to yellow. My others are a late-season heirloom, of which any tomatoes started are still a hard green. Not seeming very productive this year either.

Maybe a bad (or late) year for tomatoes? I'm sure the cold, wet spring and early summer was no good for them. I have, however, harvested eggplant and peppers since 2 weeks ago.

• mainerose
    18 years ago

We harvested our first cherry tomatos yesterday, but the larger varieties have a ways to go. We're just praying for a nice warm August! And yes---June really retarded a lot of things in our garden.

• maineman
    18 years ago

We harvested a couple of red Burpee Early Harvest Hybrids today. Several more are only a few days away from being ready to pick. A few of my Burpee Brandy Boys (new this year) are turning and they look good. Also, Burpee's Buck County Hybrids are turning and a couple of Burpee Supersteaks are also turning.

Looks like in a week or so we will be covered up with tomatoes. However, apparently none of them are going to be huge, and I am a bit disappointed in that regard. Also, the Burpee Early Harvest Hybrids usually were earlier than the other tomatoes by a wider margin. This has been an odd tomato year with the cool, rainy spring which seemed to set all the tomatoes back.

Next year I plan to try some new varieties. This year we have only five varieties: Supersteak, Brandy Boy, Early Harvest Hybrid, Bucks County, (all from Burpee) and Johnny's Orange Blossom. I would like to be more diversified. And I may start some of them a few weeks earlier than I did this year. This year I set out a bunch of pepper plants that already had peppers on them and I think I would like to try that with tomatoes next year, if that is feasible with one-liter pots.

MM

• JoyceC04240
    18 years ago

I live in Lewiston & have only 2 tomato plants. The Early Girl has 13 green tomatoes & the Big Boy later variety has 12. They are all still very green & hard. They have been growing fast with the heat we've had. I didn't expect to have any to pick until mid August. I bought the plants at Jillson's farm in Sabattus in early June.
    Joyce

Sponsored