Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Thread

Posted by angela20 z3-4, Cent ME (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 18, 04 at 19:28

I have determined that I have red thread on my lawn (brown spots with fuscia pink/red splinters attached to the dead grass. From my research, it is advised to make sure your grass is well irrigated and has a good nitrogen supply. Can anyone give me some advise on how to treat these spots - I have aerated the area with my shoe spikes and I has also spread Uria Nitrogen on the area. Please pass along any other tips to get rid of there ugly brown spots?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Thread

Angela,

By "brown spots" do you mean that there are areas of dead grass, or are you referring to dead spots on individual leaves of grass? Do you know what kinds or varieties of grass are in your lawn?

MM

o

use alfalfa meal mixed with corn meal. You can buy it at most seed and feed stores.

compost applied on top and worked in everyyear would also work very well. Be sure the compost is aged compost and not fresh...

I would do a search as well in the organic section, I avoid commercial chemicals around my family's living areas.

o

From past experiences with the little league fields, I thought overwatering was a cause of red thread. 1 inch of water per week is plenty.

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here