Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bberry_gw

Who has Grapes in Maine

bberry_gw
16 years ago

How about a few notes from anyone growing grapes in Maine. What types do you grow? What are the difficulties?

I have seen a few around but not many especially in Washington County.

Thanks

Comments (9)

• paulaj
    16 years ago

Hi,

I have Lakemont and Concord, both are doing well. I am new to grapes though, and further south than you, so try looking on the Fruit forum for more info.

• lilyroseviolet
    16 years ago

I grow Concord, makes a great grape jelly. My grape vines are about 12 years old and have been transplanted to different locations and once out of the ground in bare root and peat for a year twince in its life time too, grapes are amazingly resilent for me.

If I remeber I will ask my husband what kinds he grows. there is a white grape and I cant remember the name of it.

• cybertrek
    16 years ago

There were a couple of neglected 50+ year old Concord type black slip-skin grapevines on the southern Maine property I purchased in 2000 that I have tried to "bring back". lack of full day sun makes ripening iffy with indian summer needed to achieve good sugar levels. I also have fungal and insect attacks every year that I don't really fight. That being said I do get a small harvest every year and could be making jam/jelly. Usually we just eat whatever is ripe out of hand as we pass by and throw the sour ones to the chickens at the end of the season. And they do look nice on the arbor I built for them.

• eden_in_me
    16 years ago

I have a vine for ornamental purposes on a trellis on the North side of the house, but it has been skeletonized by bugs, more than other years. I sprayed, and hopefully killed them off. I saw big ugly caterpillars that looked somewhat like tomato hornworms. They were a pinky brown & then turned light green. They seem to roll up leaves for hatching, so I am not sure if the insecticide could get inside to kill whatever it is that is inside. I did pick off the rolled leaves I could reach & stomped on them.

Marie

• blaketaylore
    12 years ago

2011 growing season. Any organic gardeners close to the Kennebunk area that would be interested in trading flowers and veggies throughout the season?

Blake

• troymaine
    12 years ago

There have been some wild grapes growing in a back field of my house that have been there 30+ years. I am not sure of varietal but used to eat them off the vine years ago and they were tart but good. I am mid coast area.

• huisjen
    12 years ago

I've got King of the North and one other variety whose name I forget. It makes decent flavored jelly. It's about time to prune them, so if you need cuttings, talk to me.

• normathenewbie
    12 years ago

Huisjen, If the offer stands, i would love some cuttings. If that is not being too forward of me.

• maine_train
    10 years ago

I bought one Concord in a pot from Lowe's last year and never did anything with it. I'm watering it and thinking about giving it a little fertilizer and getting it into the ground somewhere this year, maybe with some others and a trellis. Something in the pot has a leaf already, not the main plant, but I don't know if that's a grape or something else. For all I know that could be anything from a lilac to one of the marauding raspberries that are all around our yard now.

If I plant that or any other grapes, I need to make sure our Labragoats can't snack on any fruit that might appear, because grapes (and raisins) are bad for dogs, even piggie-dogs with cast-iron stomachs. :(

If I do start some kind of "arbor area," I might add another variety or two, to see if it adds some color and makes the effort more worthwhile. Any suggestions? Maybe a red-white-and-blue motif? :)

Sponsored