Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coastal Plants ID

Posted by tropic_of_chesapeake z7a Md AA Co (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 23:22

On a recent trip along the coast of Maine I saw some beautiful native plants. I was so tempted to dig some from along the roadside to take home. I took some pictures instead and was hoping for some help with identifying these beauties. Ultimately I'd love to order some from a reputable nursery. One that I didn't get a picture of was called a Banana fern by one local lady I spoke with in Lubec. She told me that when they are dug up the roots looks like a brown banana. The others are attached with the pictures in this and the following posts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coastal Plants ID

A fern from the trip. Green stems.

o

The other fern. Note the black stems.

o

The top one we always called Devil's Paintbrush, but more commonly it is known as Hawkweed (Pilosella aurantiaca). As I recall, it comes in 2 colors, yellow and orange, or maybe they are 2 species. I have a little sprig growing here, been here for years. Not native, but the soils in ME are close enough to the Alpine soils it comes from so that in ME (maybe other places), it is invasive.

Don't know the fern.

o

Both ferns are the same, bracken fern (Pteridium aquilinum), just one is older than the other and the stems have darkened.

I agree with the other ID. Hawkweed isn't a native, and is in the same family as dandelions. It is invasive in both the north-east and midwest. It has fluffy puffs of seeds rather like very small dandelions, and also spreads vegetatively, creating new rosettes of leaves off the original plant.

o

Looking for perennial. I'm new to maine starting over.. Is there anyone out there wanting to thin out their garden..only thing I have to trade is some chives..and eggs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here