Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franklin66

Rain suit.

Franklin66
19 years ago

Hi all...I'm in need of a light-weight rain suit. The nylon jobby I have now is gettin' alittle thread bare....and leaks here and there...:-) Any ideas on a name brand or place to buy one. I don't mind buyin' over the net. Ya...I know...I could do a search for one myself...but thought someone on the list might have purchased one that they are happy with...and would tell me where they got it. Franklin

Comments (5)

• maineman
    19 years ago

Franklin,

"I'm in need of a light-weight rain suit. The nylon jobby I have now is gettin' a little thread bare....and leaks here and there..."

I work outside quite a bit, in the garden and the surrounding woods, and I just discovered a few days ago that my "rain jacket" isn't really waterproof. I guess it is more of a windbreaker, with some water resistance. I hadn't really put it to the test until recently. After about an hour of working in the rain I realized I was soaked to the skin. So I am hoping someone responds to your post with some good news.

This summer it has been raining a lot and I kind of like working in the rain because the mosquitoes and blackflies don't like to fly when they are being pelted with raindrops. And the rain is cooling.

But there is kind of a Catch 22 with raincoats that really work. I tried working in a "slicker" type raincoat that totally blocks water but it also blocks airflow and you wind up just as drenched in sweat as you would be in rain if you didn't have the raingear on.

What we need is a garment that sheds the rain but breathes well so you don't drown in sweat if you are active. Perhaps GoreTex would fill the bill.

In the meantime, since my choice seems to be to work wet with sweat or to work wet with rain, I guess I will just skip the rain jacket and work wet with sweat and rain. The rain can wash the sweat away and cool me off. And afterward I can take a shower and hang my Carhartts up to dry.

MM

• Franklin66
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi MaineMan...I don't work outside much in the rain...:-) I need a lightweight rain suit to use... at times... when I go out on fishin' trips on a charter boat. The one I have now can be rolled up and put into a small pocket that came with the rain suit...goes good in my cooler. Franklin

• Flyline
    19 years ago

We bought a nice Columbia rain suit for our 12 year old daughter this summer. She was attending Conservation Camp in Bryant Pond, and it was on her "required gear" list. We got it at Dick's Sporting Goods near the Maine Mall, and it wasn't very expensive at all. She likes it a lot, and has worn it since on a recent Allagash River trip. I just asked her and she said she would highly recommend it. I'll have to get one for myself one of these days!

• Kimberley
    19 years ago

You can never go wrong with LLBean. I got an all weather jacket from them last year, and while it doesn't provide much warmth, it is waterproof...tested and approved!
    (by me! :)
    Kim

• Sked
    19 years ago

I like my Red Ledge jacket and pant for about $50 at Kittery Trading Post...

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County