Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My greenhouse is on its way!

Posted by veilchen 5b s. Maine (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 21, 04 at 8:19

Birthday present for me, I have wanted one for so long I am kind of in shock. Was used to a lifetime of wishing I had a greenhouse, esp. in early spring when my vegetable, annual, and perennial seedlings are all over the house under lights.

I ordered it from Farmtek, a catalog I started receiving this summer. The price seemed good, they gave me free shipping. It is 12' long by 9' wide, 7' tall. Also ordered 4 automatic vents and the base so it will be well-anchored. It is metal and polycarbonate panels.

Anyone have any tips, ideas for greenhouse growing in Maine? I am not expecting to get much out of it in the dead of winter, but we may in the future buy a supplemental heater for it. The first year I will be concentrating on just seeing how long I can keep some flats of lettuce greens growing into the winter, then move seedlings into it next spring. I am interested in knowing whether perennials in pots can be over-wintered in the greenhouse. I also ordered a hi/low thermometer so I will be able to see how much heat it retains this winter.

This will be a new adventure!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My greenhouse is on its way!

Hi Veilchen...I also have a new greenhouse...sort of a hybrid hoop house greenhouse...12'by 24'...from Gardeners Supply out of Burlington Vermont. Have the framework all put up...and hope to have the plastic on in a week or two....if I can catch a day when I'm off and the wind isn't blowin'...:-) Going to use it as a season extender for the most part. Franklin

o

Get Elliot Coleman's book, "Four Season Harvest". He's located in Harborside and he gardens year round. He uses plastic hoophouses and then also uses row covers (remay) for even more heat retention. He sells to local resturants all year. Winter crops are mostly salad type greens. I don't think it would work up here where I am, as I'm zone 3/4 and colder, but you who are located in the southern part of the state shouldn't have any problem having produce even in the winter.

Cathy

o

Cathy, I've checked out Eliot Coleman's book so many times from the library that I should just buy my own copy. A "freebie" that's coming with my greenhouse is a 4-tier mini greenhouse with a zippered clear plastic cover that goes over it. I figured I can use it inside the greenhouse for extra protection. I am really hopeful I can grow salads all winter.

o

Link below for Eliot Coleman's farm. It's gorgeous. Barbara's pictures are fantastic. I'd love to spend a day.

I have Four Season Harvest and New Organic Grower. Both are excellent books.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Season Farm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here