Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing/Planting Perennials - Spring or Fall?

Posted by mainerose 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 10, 04 at 10:03

I have several perennials which have gotten WAY too big. Usually I divide and replant in the spring, but I would like to get this chore out of the way this fall and maybe even purchase a few new plants. Do you prefer spring or fall planting? If you've transplanted in the fall, how has the winter survival rate been? I've planted dormant roses in early Novemeber, and planted spring bulbs, of course, but never done any other fall planting. Is it generally successful in cold Zone 4?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing/Planting Perennials - Spring or Fall?

I've divided blanketflower, catmint, centaurea, tiger lilies and asiatics in fall and all did well. Watch for root heave when the ground first freezes. then after the ground freezes, I put piles of chopped leaves over everything except iris.

o
p.s. dividing plants

Yay! Free plants!

o

I live in the western mountains of Maine and run a small perennial nursery. I go by the rule of thumb, if it flowers in the spring - divide in the fall, if it flowers in the fall - divide in the spring. It is not always possible to go by this little rule of mine, but if you can then you usually do not loose a season of blooms.

o

I know many people plant in the fall but I've had bad luck with this from frost heaving the plants the next spring. If I dig it is no later than the end of september so hopefully some roots are set to hold the plants in place. It is a trial and error type of deal. Some people have great luck with this and some(like me) don't.

o

You may want to try a little extra mulch when planting in the fall. You can use your regular mulch, leaves, some straw (not hay -weed seeds!) or even some branches from some evergreen trees. This may give you enough protection. The only time I have had a problem with heaving is when it is an entirely new bed prepared and planted in the fall and I didn't add extra protection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here