Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!

Posted by girls northern maine (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 05 at 10:08

I am a new gerdener this year and love it. I have always just put in annuals but this year i really wanted to try my hand at preannuals. I am not having very good luck. Something is killing all of my lupins and phlox. I have looked but i cant seem to see any sort of bug. It looks like what ever is eating it is chewing at the stalk and working its way up the plant. On most of the plants they seem to be eating so much of the stalk that it is falling over and breaking off. If any one has any suggestion on what this might be please let me know. Also on my hosta in a different garden something is eating away at the leaves. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!

The Hosta damage is often from slugs. Pour some ammonia in a spray bottle and squirt the leaves. The amonia has nitrogen and the plants will actually like it, the slugs won't. I get slugs attacking my roses now and then, I buy a spray for them, I can't see spraying my roses with ammonia.
As to the chewed up plant stalks..
I saw over in another section of the Garden web where someone had the same kind of problem and posted pictures of the damage. It was a few weeks ago that I saw it. You can try checking out the section about plant diseases or whatever its called.

o
RE: Help!

Girls,

Slugs feed at night, so you should be able to catch them in the act by going out in the dark with a flashlight. If you see any on your plants, you might want to pick them off into some kind of container to dispose of them. They won't hurt you if you just hand pick them but, if you prefer, you could use large tweezers, tongs, or something like that.

If you have a lot of slugs you can reduce their population with a commercial product like Sluggo, which contains a non-toxic iron phosphate formula that actually acts as a fertilizer to your plants. I prefer not to use the metaldehyde-based slug killers because they are somewhat toxic.

Slugs don't like to crawl on sand, so if you mulch around your plants with some sand that will discourage them from crawling in that immediate area. Dry sand also discourages pill bugs, who require a moist environment.

MM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here