Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainerose

Garden Stars

mainerose
19 years ago

Do you have plants that are doing especially well for you this year? My "garden stars" have to be two "Summer Skies" delphiniums which were just planted last year. Somehow they made it thorugh the horrendous winter and gave me lovely blooms this summer. I've never had delphiniums before but these were so gorgeous, I'll definitely be adding more. What has rewarded you this year? Any truly outstanding plants?

Comments (14)

• maineflowergirl
    19 years ago

Joan, I got two delphiniums myself for the first time this year. One was supposed to be the dark blue and one the light blue. But the light blue turned out to be white! Darn, I really like that light blue. I will have to try again. I was happy that they blossomed because I didn't know if they were going to get enough sun.

The things I was VERY pleased with this last were the two azaleas I planted last year. They are from the Northern Lights series. One, I believe, (I keep losing tags!) is called Northern Highlights and the blossoms were beautiful with part white and part yellow. The other azealea was just loaded with blossoms that were white with pink and yellow "bits.". They were smaller blossoms but the bush was covered. They are both in an area that gets LOTS of shade. The one with the smaller flowers blossomed several weeks after the first one and a lot later than the early azaleas you see who have blossoms before the leaves. These blossoms come after the leaves.

Here is a photo of one of them:
    Northern Highlights Azaelahref>

And here is the other, a closeup of the flowers:
    Pretty Azaleahref>

If someone knows for sure the names of those azaleas, particularly the second one, please let know. Thanks!

Joanie D.

• bourret
    19 years ago

I'd have to say my greatest stars were my Daphne 'Carol Mackie' and my Hydrangea Tardiva. The daphne looked and smelled wonderful. The Hydrangea has beautiful ivory blooms that go great with just about any flower.

Lisa

• SilverQueen
    19 years ago

I have a Jacob's Ladder that just seems to keep blooming and getting bigger. I'm amazed, because it was a tiny and sickly thing last year that I didn't think would survive the winter. My pink Phlox is beautiful, and so fragrant. My Hollyhocks are pretty impressive, too. And, my Delphiniums are blooming again... in August!

Silver Queen

• maineflowergirl
    19 years ago

Lisa, I have a Daphne 'Carol Mackie' and love the foliage. Only ONCE have I gotten any blossoms though. It's in too much shade. I have learned a lot through the years about what will do well in shade.

Joanie D.

• The_Dollmaker
    19 years ago

So far my "stars" have been things I pulled out of the privet and lilac on the fringes of our property. Our yard has gone through a few microclimate changes over the years due to tree growth and changes in the neighborhood. Hydrangea, centaurea montana, tiger lilies and roses that I have pulled out into the sun all look spectacular. Things I've planted that I can rely on are the annuals that are no-fail, like zinnias, bachelor button, cosmos and such. Mini-petunias also find their way into almost every flower bed, and this year I discovered Persian Shield.

• The_Dollmaker
    19 years ago

I almost forgot! On a whim last May I picked up a yellow bleeding heart. It's a climber and it's just beautiful. Dainty foliage, not too aggressive, long blooming season and it thrives in shade.

• maineflowergirl
    19 years ago

A climbing yellow bleeding heart! I haven't seen that before, Dollmaker. Do you have any photos posted somewhere? I can do an internet search too.

Joanie D.

• The_Dollmaker
    19 years ago

It's dicententra scandens, "golden tears". Later in the day there will be more blossoms open, but I did want to show it to you. Another plus is, bugs don't seem to be interested in it.
    {{gwi:1042338}}

• maineflowergirl
    19 years ago

Thanks, Dollmaker. Now that I see the photo, I think I HAVE seen this somewhere.

Joanie D.

• chicken_lady
    19 years ago

After planting it 3-4 years ago, my clematis vitcellia "Nell" bloomed like crazy this year. Here it is with a wild clematis that planted itself in my garden. They are just finishing up right now.

Cathy

• The_Dollmaker
    19 years ago

They look really neat together. Was the wild one already in that spot when you planted the newer one?

• chicken_lady
    19 years ago

Yes, the wild one has been there a year or two longer. It is so "big" this year that it came right over the time and reached right back down to the ground!

Cathy

• kniphofia
    19 years ago

I've been pleased with my heucheras this summer. My lilies and pinks have also done well. I sowed ricinis (castor bean plant) for the first time this year and they are now really taking off. Spectacular plants!

• veilchen
    19 years ago

Geranium 'Rozanne' has been awesome, hasn't stopped blooming since I put it in the ground. Like a petunia. I'll be curious to see how it overwinters, though.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?